thill

Anyone ever seen one of these? (Wire bender?)

A friend gave me a suitcase filled with luremaking stuff from a friend that had passed away. Most of the stuff I knew, but this one seems like the foundation of the set, and I don't know what it is or how to use it:

LURETOOL.JPG

All I know is that the knob at the bottom right does a great job of bending wire. Maybe the sleeve with the crank is made to twist inline spinners?

If anyone knows where I can get instructions, that would be great. I'm slowly figuring stuff out, but help is always faster!

Thanks!

-TH

BIG THANKS, Clamboni!

I saw that it says DH Thompson on the bottom, but I found nothing on that site.

This does look like the Boggs, but mine is made from cast aluminum instead of the plastic, which I guess is good. Probably an old model. I've had it 10 years or so, and who knows how old it was when I got it.

I've got to go download the manual. Dial-up is SLOOOOW...

Thanks again. I really appreciate it.

-TH

Thill

The wire bender you have is a Thompson – precursor to Boggs (parts are the same). You should have a vise with a threaded base that will attach on the left side of the bender (your pic shows the threaded hole on the bed).

I have one that has a Thompson 360* vise and one that has a Herter’s vise attached.

Led Hed,

I've searched though the case, and I don't see a vise. That's too bad.

I downloaded the instructions, and it turns out I had pretty much figured out how to use it. I don't use spinners, so the uses are limited for me. Mainly I use it to make bottom rigs for the kids when we fish for croaker and spot in the summertime.

Thanks for the help! I really appreciate the resource of knowledge that you guys provide.

-TH

How is the kingpin held in and handle to it? I see what looks like a hole through its diam.

Sorry I didn't see the question. Ledhead is right. The crank slides off the Kingpin and there is a set screw in the crank that fits the hole drilled in the Kingpin. I've had my Boggs for about 5 years and I still find new ways to bend wird on it from time to time.