HAWGHUNNA

Craters in Devcon 2 Ton....

what is causing this to happen on the foamies?

Maybe let them cure longer?

I have cleaned plugs with denatured alcohol,used Krylon Fusion as a base coat (which wanted to spread out a little,creating craters as well).

It just seems like there is an oil or something causing the finish to not cover evenly.

I appreciate you guys,Terry Lee

Try this spray 1 coat of primer I use Rustolium Plastic primer it has more bite than Fusion and drys matte.

let dry to touch then spray a small amount into a cup and use your finger to rub primer into the craters, do it fast to avoid streaks..

The only way to avoid some pinhole craters in foam is to plastic dip as far as I know. I have yet to try it yet but I am going to start experimenting next week.

also do not touch your bait in between paint coats whatsoever

K.C.

You are getting fish eyes caused from some sort of contamination. It can be a real pain to isolate your problem. It may have to do with what your mixing in, mixing with, or even the room your doing this in. It could obviously be some incompatablility with what you are applying it to as well. I remember one time I was applying finish to the inscription area of a rod. I was working at my rod building table (kitchen table) and the wife walked within 15 feet of the table and sprayed some aerosol smell good stuff in the air. NOT GOOD! You can sand down flush wit the pits and recoat and all should be well.

I forgot to add some of it could be caused by out gassing if I paint a foamie a day after pouring I get many more craters. now I pour 6 swimbaits in a setting and put them in a dated box and do not paint for at least a week.

that seems to have helped some but I think some craters are inevitable with foam its just the nature of the product. That said are they pinholes that spread or fisheyes that have no diffident center?

Mine are definitely pinholes which are caused by microscopic holes in the foam. only solution to that that I know of is plastic dip. or do like I said above. I am going to try aluminite and micro bubbles on my next run for this precise reason.

This is just my opinion I could be wrong.

K.C.

Air temp and humidity plays a factor. Spray slower and not so thick with the Fusion. If it is your D2T that is doing it also, then let it cure for 4-6 minutes after mixing before you begin to brush it on. You are trying to apply the clear coat too quickly once it is mixed. Give it more time to cure before applying.

Hi

csob3 is right. I have learned from bitter experience that low humidity and warmer rather than cooler temps are a must. Don't overdo it on the temperature though as heat can be negative as well as positive, better to slow cure for good finish than fast and poor (60 degrees is nice). Air release creates craters/fish eyes so seal well before painting and coating, this is why a cooler warmer temp (if that makes sense) is better than hot as hot expands any trapped air and forces it out of the bait. Contamination in my experience creates dry patches rather than craters. When coated get rid of the air in the epoxy by exhaling over the bait. Above all the air needs to be dry I have to use a de-humidifier.

philB