rlcam

Need sealer help

I have sprayed this one with Krylon Clear Glaze and if you can see from the crappy photos it made the black bubble up.I sprayed another one with Laquer and it did the same thing.The first one I did with the Laquer was a junk blank (that I posted a few days ago)and the Laquer did fine.The paint is Krylon and some just Wal Mart brand rattle can paint.Is there a difference in the paints?The black and the gold are the cheap stuff.It didn't affect the gold.Forgot to mention they were painted Wensday and cleared today.Should have been enough drying time,huh.Just when I thought I did big spraying those stripes using the comb method,and now its back to the drawing board....Robert

S3010041.jpg?t=1201313451

S3010032.jpg?t=1201313473

your problem arrises from cheap paint and incompatabilty between brands. The cheepo wally-world crap is just that - crap. As with all things you get what you pay for. the solvents in your topcoat spray are disolving the black paint creatingthe bubbles.

You should buy quality paints and don't mix brands or you may see the same problem again.

I'll go along with that - It's the thinners they use in the different paints/some good quality, some bad- one thinner eats into the other- A bit like using cheap thinners with Propionate, just won't work. I would clear it anyway (thick) sand it back a bit and give it another coat - that color scheme is too good to waste. Whatever you have now is probably sealed, so give it a dose of D2T. Good luck with it-pete

Although the results weren't quite what your looking for, I think the texture finish is fine! You can achieve some interesting finishes by mixing paints. When the thinner reflows the paint you get a different finish as opposed to the spray just laying atop the basecoat. Experiment!

Thanks alot guys for the help.Figured the cheap stuff was just that.But don't know why it didn't hurt the gold,it was cheap too.Oh well that's another good lesson.I think i'm going to order some of the different tips for the spray cans for thinner lines and such from Art Primo and see what tricks I can do.Man I can't wait to get an airbrush.I've got a pretty good looking baby bass started,glad this happened to this one and not it.By the way my grandaughter will be one next month and plan on making her a 1st crank bait,got to figure out a good color pattern pink or something.....Robert

I think you guys are right - put on the Devcon! However, that's a little beside the point since you got a result you didn't expect or want. Maybe next time the result won't be so lucky. I'd also stick with one brand or family of coatings for reliable results. Even then, you can get incompatibilities at which the paint company will scratch their heads and say "Huh? Never saw that before".