unc_ross

Coiled wire ?

I ordered a dvd on making musky bucktails. The guy on the video used coiled wire to tie teh deer hair and marabou to. He had a vise grip welded to a piece of metal and then attached to the table for his vise. I do not know anyone who welds and the only vise I found with a coiled wire attachment was over $100. Does anyone make a less expensive coiled wire vise or have any suggestions that I could use. Thanks

Since you can pick cheap vise grips for around $3.00 each at Wally World, I would see if you can do it yourself with some J B Weld. I know welders that often use it rather than pull the stuff out for a 2 minute job. http://jbweld.net/products/jbweld.php

They keep expanding the product line, I keep the MARINE WELD in the tool box on the boat.

I tie my coils in my fly vise. First slide a coil (lawn mower throttle cable cut to length) over a looped wire shaft. I use a 6" scrap shaft that is too short for anything else. When you slide the coil up to the loop and turn it you will notice that the end of the shaft loop wire and the end of the coil wire will "lock". Simply chuck the shaft in your vice makiing sure the coil is tight against the loop and the vice. Make your thread wraps in the coorect direction as to keep the coil locked in. I hope this isn't too confusing.:wink: Good luck!

I tie my coils in my fly vise. First slide a coil (lawn mower throttle cable cut to length) over a looped wire shaft. I use a 6" scrap shaft that is too short for anything else. When you slide the coil up to the loop and turn it you will notice that the end of the shaft loop wire and the end of the coil wire will "lock". Simply chuck the shaft in your vice makiing sure the coil is tight against the loop and the vice. Make your thread wraps in the coorect direction as to keep the coil locked in. I hope this isn't too confusing.:wink: Good luck!

I think I got it.... so the loop in the loop wire will keep the coil from spinning and hold it tight?