chuknwind

PROBLEM WITH DEVCON 2TON!

Hey guys! I've been using envirotex lite on the lures I've painted and they turned out fine but I wanted to try the devcon 2ton epoxy on some stick baits I'll be using soon. The 2ton stuff seemed to be curing as I brushed it on and it was thick as all heck! It was not pretty. The package read as follows: devcon 2ton epoxy working time 30min, handling time 2hrs. This was a small bait and I barely got the thing coverd by dragging the finish and then running to the wheel. What did I do wrong? Did I get the right stuff?

It cures faster if your puddle of it is deeper. It cures by thermal/chemical reaction. The shallower you can keep it in the mixing cup...the better. Some guys also place their mixing cup on a cold surface like one of those blue ice deals as this will slow the curing as well. Also devcon can be thinned by using rubbing alcohol. Add the alcohol with an eye dropper though as a few drops goes a long way and you dont want it too runny.

Chuk,

When you get the bait completely covered with Devcon don't worry if there are a few rough spots from it setting up too quickly. Fire up a hair dryer on low, turn the bait slowly and hold the dryer close, maybe 3-5 inches away. Watch the devcon and when you see it start to bubble it's getting to warm, turn some more. After maybe a minute while slowly turning the bait, you will see the lure get shinier and smoother until finally it looks like it's covered in water. Once your at this point quickly slip it onto the rotary dryer and let the epoxy set up, it will turn out perfect every single time.

I used to have problems with Devcon but after 500 tries I've finally got it down to where it works every time for me. The only problem I occassionally experience now is a small spot where the glue doesn't set up for some reason.....guessing it's a mixing problem.

Good luck!

jed