fongster

Devcon 2-Ton Troubleshooting?

Hi all. I used some 2-Ton a year ago (a fresh pack) with stellar results. I just used the same pack (tubes still 3/4 full and appeared to be good color). It kicked off very fast--in 10 minutes I had gloppy epoxy that didn't flow out well on my second of two baits. In a panic, I brushed some fingernail polish with acetone in it to try to smooth the globs. That only helped a slight amount.

Why did it kick so fast (room was kinda cool--low-mid 60s). The first bait I coated was ok with no glopping but during drying, divits/fisheye appeared in a few spots. I didn't thin the epoxy at all. What gives?

Also, if I recoat the baits with 2-Ton, will it stick ok (I'll use the new pack)? Thanks.

In my experience, Devcon tends to get thick quickly at temps below 70 degrees. It's not the cure rate, just cold liquid is thicker than warm liquid. There's nothing wrong with the epoxy. Just recoat it and it will try to level out over any bad spots, including the fisheyes. Also, take a look at today's post about thinning Devcon.

Thanks, guys. Here's the update: I used a new pack of D2T inside the house at 70 degrees with 50% humidity, not out in a cold garage at 60 degrees with 75% humidity--cold rain outside, lol.

Anyway, I was able to brush over the first bad coat with no probs this time--very smooth and flowing (I didn't thin the D2T). I found that you get only 10-12 minutes or so of true "working time", not 30 like on the package. It was thick and unflowing (even for household gluing) in less than 20. Good luck with your usage.

Fongster... TIP!!! TIP!!!

Heat up the lure with a HAIRDRYER!!! or squrriel roaster!! You will do 3 things at once... The epoxy will go on our your lure like melted butter... you wil heat set the paint!!! and have super ready before the lure drys!! I like to heat the epoxy up too with hair dryer in the winter time... THE HOTTER THE BETTER!! Well too a point..

Hope this helps!!

The Rookie

Fongster... TIP!!! TIP!!!

Heat up the lure with a HAIRDRYER!!! or squrriel roaster!! You will do 3 things at once... The epoxy will go on our your lure like melted butter... you wil heat set the paint!!! and have super ready before the lure drys!! I like to heat the epoxy up too with hair dryer in the winter time... THE HOTTER THE BETTER!! Well too a point..

Hope this helps!!

The Rookie

Nice! Like a gentler form of powder paint prep. I'll try that on the next ones.