Predator Bass Baits

Dick nite setting up in can help

Hey guy's,

I bought a qt of the dick nite about 3 weeks or so ago and I dip.

I open the lid, then dip and let the main drain back in the can but then close the lid and let the lure drip a bit then put it on my turner.

My problem is the stuff in the can is setting up on me already and is about junk because it is too thick now, it sat for 3 day's without me openng it and it had a 1/4" layer set up on top.

I have also put some in a jar and added glitter to it so I can brush that on and that stuff I used once and it has set up on me as well.

how are you guy's using it if it. ??

http://www.tackleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9107&highlight=dick+drip

Post No4 explains everything. You broke the rule, never let it drip back in the can.

I don't know whether you can rescue the remainder, but it would not do any harm to try. Pour the remainder into a new container.

I also remember that DN reacts to some plastics. All the info is here on TU, you just got to search and the truth shall be revealed.

This is such a well known problem, I am surprised Mr Dick hasn't put a warning on the label, or has he?

PBB

Vman is absolutely correct .......NEVER EVER let it drip back into the container :nuhuh:.

The very first thing I do is tranfer it into another container then out of it into a smaller one to apply. Be careful what kind of container. It will melt some plastics. I was told about using an empty wine bottle (easy to pour from and fun to empty) :sauced: . This stuff is moisture cure and even the moisture in the air will start it setting up. Its a little pricy....(but good) to have to replace it too soon.

It looks like you found out the #1 NO NO the hard way. After this hurdle you should'nt have any or many problems. You may want to do some reading on it.......Sorry Bad Statement

Don't drip any back in the can! I decant a Qt of DN into 3 smaller jars, screw the lids on tight and then cover them with HD tin foil. Seems to be working so far. 'Course, that won't help you now:( But you can break through the crust, spoon some out into a jar lid, thin it with a little acetone and brush it on.

Thanks Guy's

I never did let it drip dry into the can.

When you dip and pull out it has major run off, I did let that run off in the can and then shut the lid is that OK ?

One time I did not get the lid fully tight so that might be what did it ?

I am scared about putting it in jars as I did that with the glitter in it and it set up in the jars, the jars had more air then volume so that could be why as well.

I will thin this and then use it for glitters and get new stuff and probably try the thumb screw trick in the bottom, put it in a jar full for dipping, this way I only loose part of it if it happens again,

But then when you dip and pull out it is going to get on the lip of the jar so then you need to wipe the lip everytime so the lid does not get stuck, do you have enough time to do this ?

You need to let the lure drip off, get it on the turner and then tend to the jar ( lots of air time this way ) I know, I just need 3 more hands, LOL

PBB - Do a search, someone posted a great idea recently, where you open the can from the bottom , ie: punch a hole in it and decant from here and then screw in a sheet metal screw to seal it up. Best solution of any I can think of, is fill a wine cask bag, never get air in then- who can afford 2 litres of DN to try it though. pete

Pred, I dip a bait in and draw it out slowly so much of the initial runoff stays in the can. But once it's free of the DN, I let it drip on newspaper. I think most of your problem came from storing it in containers with too much air space and/or a less than air tight lid. I screw my jar lids down tight and then wrap the top with tin foil. I also store it in salsa jars that have a constricted neck, just large enough to dip a bass bait. Dick Nite says they store theirs in wine bottles. The whole idea is to minimize air (and moisture) infiltration. It's a bit of a pain but once you have a handling routine down, it's nice to be dipping rather than brushing.

In regards to Pete's suggestion of some type of bag to dispense Dick nite's lure coat.

I think I might have a solution! They make a disposable paint gun cup liner which is solvent proof and has zip-lock at the top. Also comes with a tube and part to pierce the liner and attach the tube. Seems to me this would be the solution to ambient air prematurely curing the contents. Squirt it out and plug the tube no air in the bag!

One caveat would the liner remain intact with extended exposure to solvent based finish, might have to check with the manufacturer to be certain.

http://store.eldoradotoolsales.com/dev-omx70k48.html

Kc - you have got me thinking now - how about 'blood/drip bags', tough and probably impervious to anything, have all the fittings - just another compatability test to run ???? I can see DN dialling now, as this (waste/cost) is my biggest reason for not using it. pete

Whew!

I really do try to get back with you guys as quickly as possible. Sorry if it gets to be a day late sometimes - I am making lures here too!

I have been reading this thread and the bag idea got me all excited! I have already contacted a couple of bag suppliers and a paint equipment supplier looking for solvent-proof bags & "straws"... This could be a great thing! You don't know how many hours I spend on the phone every week (that's the only time you should get the voicemail - when I'm on the line...) helping folks with the "curing problem"...

I spoke with Predator earlier this week - and to answer a later post, no I have not put a warning on the bottle to not mix in glitter before storing... If I posted all the tips, I'd have to put 2 ounces in a gallon can to hold the label! ;)

I am working on a better "Tips and Tricks" sheet to send out with the Fishermun's Top-Coat - any suggestions as to what to include would be appreciated!

Thanks again folks!

Dick

I have one of those deeply embedded/could have dreamed it memories of a spray can of inert gas that was available for painters to displace the air in a paint can before closing it.

Sounds like the bag idea would be perfect, if it would hold up, and weren't too expensive.

Of course, the empty wine bottles, a chore to be sure, solves all problems. :)

I have one of those deeply embedded/could have dreamed it memories of a spray can of inert gas that was available for painters to displace the air in a paint can before closing it.

Sounds like the bag idea would be perfect, if it would hold up, and weren't too expensive.

Of course, the empty wine bottles, a chore to be sure, solves all problems. :)

Mark, that sounds like an idea that Bobby Kelly (Maddox Bay) mentioned to me many moons ago, and that I passed along to Dick--the inert gas that was available to painters to displace air, that is. I've looked for it on paint supply sites and have yet to find it. The wine bottle trick seems to be popular also; either that, or people just enjoy emptying the bottles! I use teflon tape on my jar threads, and then aluminum foil over the top, rubber banded. I've lost very little out of 2 pints, but like the idea of a better and easier way, like Dick is investigating!

Dean

dampeoples I have a problem with bottled wine going off (Red) when the air gets into it, maybe this gas would solve that problem also. Penfolds wine here, injects nitrogen into your bottles of 'Grange' every year (and re-corks them) for the same reason - Latest vintage (2002) is worth about $550 a bottle.

I might try it on something a little less expensive - how decadent , DN stored in an empty 'Grange Hermitage' bottle ! !pete