pikester

Whitefish colours?

Hey all; in most of the lakes I fish (central & southern Alberta), Lake Whitefish are a very important forage for big pike particularly right before freeze-up. Many cranks & glide baits painted to represent whities are generally either silver/ black or blue/dk grey. My question is based on your personal experience or on information you may have read, what is the most realistic & productive colour sceme to accurately represent whitefish. I ask because I know that the way we see colour while holding something stationary in the sunlight is not always the way a predator fish might see the same thing in fifteen feet of water at 3-4 mph. Thanks in advance, John.

Pikester,

Where I fish for Musky there is a cisco and whitefish forage bait also. I make two types of baits that imitate these fish. One I use foil for the flash effect and on the other is white primer followed by a dusting of black so it is just visible and then use small scale mesh with sparkling white pearl. This gives the effect of the shining scales on whitefish and ciscoes and creates underwater flash as it catches light. I do black backs with either shimmering green or blue for the irridescent effect. You can check my foiled baits both straight and jointed models and a jointed painted bait....I make these baits 7, 8 and 9 inches long.We have caught many big muskies and pike on these baits. We troll up to 5 mph with these and they get down to about 12 feet with 50 ft of line out depending on speed.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g225/rjbass/ciscofixed.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g225/rjbass/tn_IMG_0359.jpg

Hope this helps...

Rod