borderbasser

fish eye problems

Can a bait that is painted with createx, auto air, and other water based paints be wiped down with a lint free towel moistened with denatured alcohol without messing up the paint job? I do heat set the paint by the way if it matters. I have been having problems with fisheyes and Devcon...some worse than others. I am pretty meticulous about cleaning my mixing stick, cup and foil with alcohol prior to use, but not sure if I can wipe the bait down before coating. It is getting pretty old having to recoat. Thanks.

TJ

TJ...use a tack rag you can find them at Wal Mart or Lowes..... That is what I do... Now if you still get a hair on the clear or around the eyes!!! Take some sand paper... 1,000 grit.. or even 800... get the hair out after it drys... or just sand it down without getting into the paint.. It doesnt happen too often but when it does that is what I do.. Someone else can tell me if im wrong or right.. but I havent had any problems doing this..

The Rookie

Your fish eyes are likely a result of one of two things:

1. You contaminated the lure surface with something, maybe your hands? After you primer the bait try not to touch it, if you do clean the surface with a paper towel and rubbing alcohol. Be careful as some brands of paper towels leave a nasty number of tiny fuzzies all over the lure! After you paint the lure don't touch it, set it aside and let it dry overnight before applying the clearcoat.

2. Sometimes you get fish eyes if you don't apply enough clearcoat...are you putting it thick enough? Make sure you brush the entire lure with the epoxy.

RM

Always wipe surfaces with a lint free cloth. The tack cloth is a good idea as well. Take a look at what you are mixing in, where it is, etc, sometimes it could be the unexpected, such as the wife cleaning up around the area with some Endust or something.

The only pits I've ever had were from not enough epoxy, try a batch, or just a piece of wood with your normal amount, and another with a little more, and compare.

I just had my first fisheye in about 200 baits tonight. I waited about 2 hrs and recoated with Devcon and it disappeared. Fisheyes used to happen to me more often and I think both greasy fingers or a too thin coat of epoxy can cause it. As far as "stuff" getting in the clearcoat, the biggest culprit for me was using paper towels to wipe excess epoxy off my brush. Paper towels shed fibers like crazy that are quickly picked up by an epoxy brush. Now I use a lint-free old cotton cloth to wipe my brush after cleaning it in solvent.

Can a bait that is painted with createx, auto air, and other water based paints be wiped down with a lint free towel moistened with denatured alcohol without messing up the paint job? I do heat set the paint by the way if it matters. I have been having problems with fisheyes and Devcon...some worse than others. I am pretty meticulous about cleaning my mixing stick, cup and foil with alcohol prior to use, but not sure if I can wipe the bait down before coating. It is getting pretty old having to recoat. Thanks.

TJ

No. Denatured alcohol will remove createx acrylics. Wipe with detergent only.

Are your fish eyes 'dry spots' or are they a true crater ?? if they are dry spots then that is contamination of the surface causing the epoxy not to adhere. If they are a true crater e.g round then that is caused by released air either from the epoxy itself or from the paint or whatever is under the paint (wood).

philB

Watch out using old shirts/T shirts, I just got caught with the antipersperant residue in the cloth (I think)- This has silicone, exotic oils, pig fat and who knows what else in it - I use old unsoiled underwear, exclusivley now. pete