Kribman

Epoxy cover coat

I got a Taiwan ROC model AC-1011 Macro-Yang 115V, 50-60 hz synchronous AC 4 rpm motor from American Science and Surplus and it has worked great for 3 yrs on my 6 bait lure turner. I've also seen them sold on Ebay occasionally. They cost around $7 and have a surprising amout of torque for their small size. Nothing lasts forever and I'm sure it will fry itself eventually, but so far, so good.

I have been using a micro wave motor (have 4 now) for about 9 months an still going strong, sometimes leave it on all night (coolest time here)- They have heaps of torque and the one I am using now is a 5-6 rpm model - never had more than 4 lures on it and as long as you balance the load, I think you could put a dozen 6" on it with no problems- I grab them every chance I get (cause I'm a hoarder) and they usually range from 2 to about 6 rpm, depending on the type of oven- or $4-$5 on eeeeBay. pete

A good rule of thumb is if the motor is too hot to hold, it's having a problem. Hot motors melt the insulation on their windings, and short out.

The windings used to be coated in varnish. I'm sure they have some high tech coating now, but varnish worked well for a long time. And overheating melted the varnish and made the winding short.

I don't know how these newer motors, like for microwaves, are made, but if it gets too hot to hold, you can bet it's in trouble.

Motors do get hot anyway. There may be nothing wrong. If anyone thinks that I am wrong about this, then please step in.

Any how, you should never leave a motor unattended.

Vodka is right,you should never leave a motor unattended,However,you should never leave the clothes dryer,oven,lead melting pot,glue gun,hot plate,unattended also.Does it happen..yes...try not to? Yes.Being a firefighter in NYC I know that accidents happen and seen first hand what could happen.Those of you that are looking for a drying motor that can be trusted pay attention...Flexcoat makes a drying motor for drying the epoxy on fishing rods.Its what i have and I leave it on overnight and have no problem sleeping.Wake up the next day and the motor is barely warm to the touch.

Kribman, Jann's on-line catalog is just a bit more comprehensive than their published catalog. They have a lot of good stuff. Also, Mud Hole, Stamina, and Barlows, to name a few, have good selections also. Check 'em all out.

Brave Viper, glad to hear that you're a firefighter. Retired from fire service after 30 yrs. svc. Best job I have ever had. Looks as though there are a lot of us on this forum. Best of luck to you, I know you work in one tough place. Proud of work you NY firefighters do.

David

Kribman, Jann's on-line catalog is just a bit more comprehensive than their published catalog. They have a lot of good stuff. Also, Mud Hole, Stamina, and Barlows, to name a few, have good selections also. Check 'em all out.

Brave Viper, glad to hear that you're a firefighter. Retired from fire service after 30 yrs. svc. Best job I have ever had. Looks as though there are a lot of us on this forum. Best of luck to you, I know you work in one tough place. Proud of work you NY firefighters do.

David

That was nice capt. thank you.

Bravepiper. You have my respect too, for your chosen profession.

I take your point, that inevitably, people will leave appliances running unattended. I just feel a real need to mention it, because we are talking home made equipment, using motors and electricity possibly beyond its design parameters and with no real knowledge.

Thanks for the kind words guys....I love what i do and wouldnt trade it.Im a 3rd generation FDNY member and yes I was there on 9/11.It is brutal,demanding work at times but it does leave me with time to make jigs etc.What was I sayin' oh yeah...The flexcoat drying motor is designed for what we need...When you start making motors and messing with electricity i thin your asking for trouble.

Bravepiper, where and what do you fish for in New York? There is a lot of fisheries, interested to see if your a salty of freshwater guy. And I also admire the work you do, seems like it takes a lot of guts.

Kribman, My Mom spent her summers at her Summerhouse that was built by her grandfather in the 20's.We still have the place and it is near fantastic freshwater lakes and reservoirs in Putnam county.It got me started in freshwater fishing.My Dad grew up fishing on his fathers boat on the south shore of Long Island.My Grandfather and some other Firefighters bought a charter boat and used to take out clients when off-duty from captree State park.So there you go...I do it all...Or at least try to...

excellent lake... does anyone fish from the shore here for bass. By shore I guess I should be saying harbor, and by bass I mean any type of freshwater fish you can think of. I have seen monster northern pulled out of Winthrop Harbor on the border of Illinois and Wisconsin and there are easy 6 lb lm bass visible from shore during the spawn. I can't wait to get up there and see what I can get. Back to the question, does anyone here fish the Great Lakes' multitude of harbors?

Kribman,

Just read this thread and to answer your question, yes I fish the Great Lakes...Huron, Michigan and Superior. Smallmouth bass are awesome in many locatons with 6 lb fish barely raising an eyebrow. Pike, Musky, Walleye as well as steelhead and salmon round out the fishing. I live on the Saint Mary's River which runs between Lake Superior and Lake Huron. One of the best fishing rivers I know has all 6 of those species.

Rod