Legendary Lures

Full Meal Deal for a Musky

Just wanted to show off my newest lure. Overall length of this handcarved wooden lure is 10 1/2 inches and it weighs 2 ounces. The badge is in the picture to give you an idea of this lure's size. The badge is 1 inch in diameter. The eyes are glass and glow in the dark. Hooks are 3/0. The dorsal and tail fins are handcut and formed aluminum. The tail is jointed. The scales and pectorial fins are hand carved, although they don't show up very well in this picture. I can't wait until Saturday, when i FINALLY get a chance to fieldtest. Comments welcome.

ll_musky_meal.jpg

Thanks for the compliments! The fieldtest went as expected for a prototype. It goes back to the bench for more work. I was too anxious to show it off and should have waited until I tested. Oh well, such is life.

The lure is too bouyant. Although it sits in the water in fish position, on edge not its side, it won't dive. Rather than tear up this one, I made a couple more. The new ones are from 3/4" wood rather than 5/4". I increased the lead in one and doubled that amount in the other. The plan is less wood and more lead.

I'm also going to try a smaller lip. The lips I'm using are purchased from Moore's Lures and are Lexan. I sure wish there was a formula for determining lip size for a given length, width and weight.

I hope to test the new ones tomorrow. They'll be white since I'm satisfied with the walleye paint pattern. If they work out, I'll have my pattern and plan to make more. I've already had several requests from people who'd like one for themselves.