Tony Maxwell

Powder Paint

Tony,

Take a look at out website at www.tjstackle.com under the powder paint section. We have videos that show you tips on powder painting jigs using a toaster oven. We set the toaster oven at about 375 degrees to preheat and let them heat up for about 15 to 20 minutes. Then we take them out one by one using hemostats or pliers and dip them in the fluid bed or jar of powder paint. You can paint about 300 jigs an hour this way. Make sure you get an oven thermometer to check the settings on your toaster oven. The dials are never that accurate. We also demonstrate on using multiple colors on a jigs as well. Cadman on this site is also an excellent powder painter that uses multiple colors per jig. He may have some good tips as well. If you have any other questions, let me know.

Thanks,

Benjamin

Tony,

Take a look at out website at www.tjstackle.com under the powder paint section. We have videos that show you tips on powder painting jigs using a toaster oven. We set the toaster oven at about 375 degrees to preheat and let them heat up for about 15 to 20 minutes. Then we take them out one by one using hemostats or pliers and dip them in the fluid bed or jar of powder paint. You can paint about 300 jigs an hour this way. Make sure you get an oven thermometer to check the settings on your toaster oven. The dials are never that accurate. We also demonstrate on using multiple colors on a jigs as well. Cadman on this site is also an excellent powder painter that uses multiple colors per jig. He may have some good tips as well. If you have any other questions, let me know.

Thanks,

Benjamin

Thanks for the compliment Benjamin

Still undecided on powder paints. Have a question though. Can you use your toaster oven to heat the jig before painting? Seems that you could control the heat better. Don't know what temp. you need to reach prior.

Thanks for your assistance.

Tony I have a tutorial also that I can e-mail you. PM me your e-mail address. With all the info from Tj's Tackle, my tutorial and all the info from the guys here, you should have no problem powder painting. Although we may all use slightly different techniques, the results are the same. The rest is up to you to make your creations the way you want.

Another really good tool for setting powder paints is available in most craft stores and usually labeled as an "embossing heat tool". Crafty people use it for shrink-wrapping plastic around gift baskets and for embossing (which incidently is a very cool way to make raised lure eyes)...but it is also an invaluable tool for tackle makers.

Here is what one looks like:

embossing-tool.jpg

It's great because it generates instant heat like a hairdryer, but doesn't generate any wind, so it doesn't upset glitter or push paint into ridges. I use mine for heating the bubbles out of flex-coat to finish my lures, for embossing eyes onto lures (you'll need a paint additive to do this...but it's a great technique and worth learning for lure making), for heating lead for powder painting, and for quick drying paints...and I find new uses for it almost daily!

Best of all...these things only cost about $20 at most of the big box craft stores (like an A.C. Moore, Michaels, MisterArt.com, DickBlick,etc.)

Hope that helps!

Any of you guys got pics or suggestions about building a rack to hold multiple jigs while baking the paint onto them and not have them bump the rack or themselves when removing them?

I just bent four loops onto a piece of stainless steel wire that is almost as wide as the oven,and I hang the 4 jigs inside the oven while the wire is bent to slide over the top of the oven.

I'm thinking of building a rectangle shaped or round shaped wire rack with more holding loops all the way around it that sits completely inside the oven ..... just wandering what you guys use.

Any of you guys got pics or suggestions about building a rack to hold multiple jigs while baking the paint onto them and not have them bump the rack or themselves when removing them?

I just bent four loops onto a piece of stainless steel wire that is almost as wide as the oven,and I hang the 4 jigs inside the oven while the wire is bent to slide over the top of the oven.

I'm thinking of building a rectangle shaped or round shaped wire rack with more holding loops all the way around it that sits completely inside the oven ..... just wandering what you guys use.

I built aluminum racks and used allthread rod to keep the hooks from sliding around. PM me your e-mail and I can show you some pics.

I too built a rack. I was originally going to use angle brackets and mending plates to hold the threaded rods but thought better of it because I recall reading somewhere that heating galvanized products is not a good idea.

So after thinking about it for a bit I came up with a cheaper and easier solution:

I took some threaded rod and shoved it through a disposable aluminum baking pan. They are cheap and flimsy until you get a couple rods in it. Then it's nice and sturdy and it costs almost nothing. I put a nut and washer on either side of the pan to "lock" the rod in place.

Haven't tried it yet but I see no reason why it shouldn't work just fine.

rack.jpg