ChadK

resperator?

I have thought about it. I have a range hood that is connected to a 4" dryer hose. I can tell the fan is not pushing as much air as it can. Not to mention my opening in my window is about 3" so I have to squish the hose. It is a lot better than when I was pouring without a range hood though.

I looked at a respirator at Home Depot. The one I looked at was something like $28.00. It was good enough for paint fumes so I figured it would do the trick.

Guys, the only time I got stuck wearing a resperator, it was known as a gas mask and went along with a heavy charcoal suit. I really think it is important to base the protection you need to the hazard you are being ezposed to. This URL is put out by OSHA and explains the guildlines

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/2003-144/

Please don't put yourself at risk and change out filters on time or you're not helping your situation.

Bruce

Salty,

In the same vain, only 2 eyes, 2 ears, 2 thumbs, 8 fingers. It way to easy to put on goggles, glasses, and face shields. As a jet mech in the 80s, I had a main fuel supply line, about 2 1/2 inch ss braided line burst under pressure and JP-4, about 30 gallons blasted me in the face.

The guys I worked with realized how rough my condition was - the JP-4 had blinded me and my eyes felt like they were on fire. After being put in an emergency shower and blasted by about 18 nozzles of high pressure water for about 5 minutes, they through me back into the dispatch truck and raced my to the base ER.

I was met by no less than 4 ER types, 2 or 3 techs, at least 1 nurse, and a doctor. As a group, they striped me, washed me, and started rinsing my eyes. I had inhaled (got jet fuel) in my lungs, there was a real concern for the lead levels that "may" have penatrated the skin, and via blacklight, surface of the eyes was pretty messed up. I got to spend a night in intensive care on oxygen with both eyes padded and taped for 72 hours.

At the end of the 72 hours, my vision was okay, just blurry. After an additional week of eye drops every 4 hours, I came to realize how lucky I had been to work with guys like myself were safety was pounded into our head every duty day. The quick actions of co-worker and medical personnel minimized the damage to my throat, lungs, and eyes.

Please take a few extra minutes and wear your gloves, aprons, eye protection, and respirator. Keep the stuff in good working order and share your "war stories" over a cold brew.

Bruce

Chad.

The entry level I think of is a 3M 6000 Series Low Maintenance Respirator. The term Particulate Respirator is commonly advertised, but those are little more than a dust mask and not capable of providing the protection needed for some of the chemicals in paints and solvents.

Dust can cause it's own problems and shouldn't be over looked either.

This is the one i wear.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100076338

Wow first post too, all the lurking i have been doing i thought i posted at least once lol.

This is not a hyjack...

Sneeky bobothewizard.

Welcome to the Tackleunderground, aka tackle junkie centeral. If you've been a member since Dec 7th, you've seen how we like to meet and greet everyone. Please add a few more details in your Public Profile so we can get to you a little better. Thanks

That resporator should fill the need - lets see what kind of tackle you're building that requires the heavy hardware...

The Resperator I use is one from a body shop that is desposable after 40 hours of use. I did not realize with the filters the resperator's use you MUST store them in a sealed air tight zip lock bag to deactivate the charcol filter's or they will become usless. It is OSHA approved and costs about 15.00. If you want the make and model I can get it.

I know that Join Date and number of posts don't equal to age or experiance, but it makes the "old fart" in me happy to see folks finally taking some responsibility for their own safty. They say lifes to short, well it can seem like forever when the part count doesn't equal what you start with. (Please Note, small tear forming in right eye...)

One thing to keep in mind, buy cartridges that filter our ORGANIC vapours. This is what you need to worry about when working with plastisols and paints, particulate cartridges will not work. If you can smell it through the mask, then the cartridge is used up or is not the right one.

1. fan blowing at all times

2. air conditioner on all the time bringing in fresh air

3. high volume vent fan exhausting air out side of building

4. base ball cap to cover top of head with full face mask with correct cartirges for air particles/smoke

5.leathger gloves with coveralls

6.10x12 building

after plastic is melted and poured into the machine

1. items 1,2 and 3 stay in-place

2. air mask is removed and replaced with a full face shield

3. gloves and coveralls are kept on

4. injecting plastic begins

protect your body at all cost, this is a hobby we should all enjoy and not be harmed by.

This is the one i wear.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100076338

Wow first post too, all the lurking i have been doing i thought i posted at least once lol.

I tried to locate this respirator by clicking on the blue hyper link but The Home Depot must not be selling this model any more. Is it a full face or just a vapor type ?

do you wear a resperator when your pouring and if so is there anything special to look for in one?

I have one made by 3M,,,3M 2096,,,,not huge not too uncomfortable,,,has a filter on both sides ,,,extra filters are available,,,,I never pour without it,,,,,before I used it I was getting a sore throat. A friend got me it from work,,,,but I'm sure you can pick one up at Home Depot or Lowes

I finally made a profile (I plan on adding info soon) after lurking on here for several months. I started pouring around June of 09 and caught all my biggest bass of the year on my hand pours. So now you could say I'm hooked on a new hobby! But after reading this post it has added to my concern about the fumes from pouring plastics.... I spent $30 bucks for a mask at Home Depot but like mentioned in a post above i believe it's for particles only not fumes and I haven't kept it stored in a zip loc bag.... How much and where can you get new filters?

I finally made a profile (I plan on adding info soon) after lurking on here for several months. I started pouring around June of 09 and caught all my biggest bass of the year on my hand pours. So now you could say I'm hooked on a new hobby! But after reading this post it has added to my concern about the fumes from pouring plastics.... I spent $30 bucks for a mask at Home Depot but like mentioned in a post above i believe it's for particles only not fumes and I haven't kept it stored in a zip loc bag.... How much and where can you get new filters?

Order these type from their catalog - disposable is the way to go. I wipe the inside of mine out w/Listerine before each use.

http://www.gemplers.com/product/10164/3M-Paint-Pesticide-Respirator

Edited by smallmouthaholic

I am working in a small workshop with a very tiny 3 inch x 12 inch window. I have a fan pointed at it. I have been getting a lot of bloody noses lately and bloody boogers and I think it may be from pouring plastic. I dont want brain damage. Any who I will be looking at a respirator because I just started this hobby a couple weeks ago and have been seeing these changes in my health. Thanks for the suggestions on this forum