markc

spraying question

I have gotten a ton of good information from this site, and I appreciate everyones help, but I have another question.

I sprayed some lateral lines on some baits today. Fortunately I was smart enough to give the baits a clear coat first so if I messed up it was no big deal.

I had pretty good results starting my line on a piece of paper and then onto my lure with a continuous motion, but when I try to start on the bait, I keep getting a little paint "explosion" and then the air keeps pushing the paint messing up the line. I realize this must be a speed/coordination issue, because when I am doodling I do ok, but when I do it for "real" thinkgs don't work out as I have to aim my paint while maintaining my distance, speed, air and paint.:eek:

I played with my pressure taking it down as low as I could go and it didn't really help. Will thinning my paint help or make it worse? I'm thinking if I thin I will have to do multiple passes to get coverage and I'm trying to keep the line small. Any advice?

As always your help is much appreciated!

Mark

PAINTERS TAPE!!!!! Saves you time in the long run.. When I shoot my Threadfin pattern I test my gun over and over again.. on a paper towel.. then I move my hand REALLY FAST AND PULL THE TIGGER ALL THE WAY back.. but you have to develop your own style.. but that is the only time I really mess around trying to shoot a straight line by hand... Most of the latter lines I do.. I tape them up!!! TOP TO BOTTOM.. Maybe that is why I take so long to get my stuff done.. but i figure that beats clear coating it or washing it off to start over again!! I wish I could shoot a straight line.. Heck you should see me BOWL!!!! LOL!!!

PAINTERS TAPE!! I like the GREEN!!

The Rookie

I have done a few that way, but I like the softer edge of doing them without it.

Thanks for the help and I'll try your tip of all the way back and fast to see how it works for me.

Anybody else have any pointers?

You could cut a stencil and then hold that stencil away from the lure a little bit. That will soften the edges of the line. The further away you hold it, the softer the edge.