chas48

Any downside to...

Yes once you put your lead in the pot, you leave it in there to cool, and next time just plug it in. Do you have a Hot Pot or a Lee bottom pour pot? My next question is why do you want to take the lead out of the pot after it cools? If you let it cool in the pot you will not be able to get the lead out unless you destroy the pot.

I have (2) Lee bottom pour pots and (2) Hot-Pot, and I always leave lead in there. Yes, always keep your lead in the pot. Once it cools, you can put it away for next times use. Ps.... There is one down side to keeping a hot pot full of lead. If you drop it on your toe, it would hurt a lot more.

I have (2) Lee bottom pour pots and (2) Hot-Pot, and I always leave lead in there. Yes, always keep your lead in the pot. Once it cools, you can put it away for next times use. Ps.... There is one down side to keeping a hot pot full of lead. If you drop it on your toe, it would hurt a lot more.

LOL, Yes it would.

I leave my lead in there too. It heats up alot faster and less hassle. The only time I'd drain it is if I was going to clean the pot.

If you are going to leave lead (I leave my pots almost full) in your pot – do not pour until your lead is completely melted. Dislodge the plunger – while the pot is heating up, it doesn’t reseat, you have a big problem.

When the pot is hot, I try to keep an ingot mold (Hilt’s or Lee has good ones with handles) under the nozzle when ever the pot is idle.

I see there are other people with the leak problem when reheating, but mine leaks anywhere from 2-5 pounds of lead out of the 10 pound pot!

I put a weight on the handle when I shut it off to help keep the plunger down and left it on there when heating up but it didn't help. Granted I don't sit there and watch it when it heats because I am working on other stuff, but I don't think there is anything I can do since the lead on the bottom melts so much sooner than the lead on top.

Any tips for minimizing the leakage?

I see there are other people with the leak problem when reheating, but mine leaks anywhere from 2-5 pounds of lead out of the 10 pound pot!

I put a weight on the handle when I shut it off to help keep the plunger down and left it on there when heating up but it didn't help. Granted I don't sit there and watch it when it heats because I am working on other stuff, but I don't think there is anything I can do since the lead on the bottom melts so much sooner than the lead on top.

Any tips for minimizing the leakage?

I can tell you one thing it's worse in winter than in summer. The lead melts from the bottom up, and cools from the top down. My best suggestion is to make sure your pot is clean inside (you will have to empty all the lead and clean it) so there is no crap in there. This will minimize your problem, not solve it. If you have that much lead pouring out of your pot, then you have a different issue. In winter or the fall season, I always watch my pot, so there is no problem. If anyone on this site doesn't have an issue with there pot regading this, please elaborate, and tell us what the solution is. I would like to know also.

I have the RCBS bottom pour, and I leave lead in it when done. Mine drips while pouring also. I was given a lees bottom pour, but have never used it yet, but I'll bet that one drips also lol.

I've heard that RCBS is the cream of the crop. I know they are expensive, but everyone that has one says they are really good and they like them. I have (3) Lee bottom pour pots, and yes they all drip. But it's really not that big of a deal, I just put a small can similar to what Braveviper does to catch the drip.

Yea, the drip doesn't bother me to much. It's kind of like they said about older Harley Davidsons dripping oil, they are just marking their spot lol. I don't know if the RCBS is worth the price difference. I did not buy it, so I can't really say. Seems like both brands get the job done, that's what counts.

While we are on this subject, what is the best method of cleaning the pot? Also do you use another pot to clean/flux your lead in before you put it in the bottom pour?

Where do you all get your lead from?

You should't have to clean your pot at all, as long as you don't put crap in there. Pure lead is no problem. Any lead that is clean no problem. Wheel weights and lead that has glue or grime on it should be melted in a small cast iron pot, then skim the crap off. Now take the cleaned lead with a ladle, and pour it into small mini muffin pans. When the lead cools in the muffin pans, this is about the right size to put into your pouring pot.....As far as cleaning a bottom pour pot, slowly drain you lead in a mini-muffin pan. Once all the lead is gone from you pouring pot, unplug it, and wait till it cools awhile. Now you can take some course steel wool, and scour the inside. Take off your plunger and look at it for concentricity. Clean it as well. Clean pouring hole. Blow out all steel wool, reassemble, put your lead back in, plug in and wait till the lead melts and add some more till full..... Flux lead in your pouring pot by mixing your lead with the lighted flux, and then carefully collect all the crap on top after the burn is done and put in small can for later disposal. Read the sticky above about fluxing in the wire bait forum. Excellent information......I get my lead from a printer, old style type, dentist, scrap yard, tire store. One last final bit of info. Lead is very hot be very careful. Muffin pans get very hot and heavy when filled with lead. Think extreme caution when working with lead. You don't want to get burned. Trust me you will never forget it and the healing process is very slow...............Be careful

Edited by cadman

While we are on this subject, what is the best method of cleaning the pot? Also do you use another pot to clean/flux your lead in before you put it in the bottom pour?

Where do you all get your lead from?

Never cleaned my pot yet.

I use an a turkey fryer outside with a large cast iron pot tied down to it with heavy gauge wire. (Limits possibilities of tip over) I use this pot OUTDOORS to do the melting of the rough lead and fluxing, then pouring into an ingot/block mold. Looks just like a brick of gold, only it's lead....what a shame! :cry:

I get lead from many different people. I ask everyone at work if they know anyone that has any, any plumber friends that may have old lead pipe sitting around from a remodeling job, and a few pounds a year from Dentist also. None of the tire places will give it away anymore, most want $.25/lb.

I was trying to get as much as I could, but now with the threat of lead free sinkers/jig laws being passed in several States, I have around 600 pounds, and don't want an inventory any higher than that.

BLT,

I just saw a small Turkey fryer at Bass Pro, that I want to use for the same purpose you do, as I got some cruddy lead. It is about $40 on sale for $30. It's in their X-mas Sale paper. Do you think that will do the job? I can email you a pic if you PM me you e-mail or vice-versa........Thanks Ted

Just my 2 cents on the RCBS pot. I bought one used(looked new though) and it dripped so badly that it was about impossible to use. I called RCBS and told them the problem as well as that I had bought it used. They told me it was the plunger and that it was covered under warranty. I told them once again that I had bought the pot used and they told me once again that it did not matter, it was under warranty. They promptly shipped a plunger which solved about 99% of the problem. Customer service at its best! So rare nowadays! One thing I do know now- if I ever need to purchase another pot, you can bet I will buy theirs! Sorry for the long post, but I had to give some kudo's to this company and NO I am not affiliated with RCBS.

Just my 2 cents on the RCBS pot. I bought one used(looked new though) and it dripped so badly that it was about impossible to use. I called RCBS and told them the problem as well as that I had bought it used. They told me it was the plunger and that it was covered under warranty. I told them once again that I had bought the pot used and they told me once again that it did not matter, it was under warranty. They promptly shipped a plunger which solved about 99% of the problem. Customer service at its best! So rare nowadays! One thing I do know now- if I ever need to purchase another pot, you can bet I will buy theirs! Sorry for the long post, but I had to give some kudo's to this company and NO I am not affiliated with RCBS.

Nothing wrong with that, it's nice to know that there are companies out there that still take care of their customers.