cidgrad

Skirt thickness

Just got started and doing good with jigs for bass. Content here has really accelerated my learning curve!

I know this is somewhat personal preference, but how thick do you make your skirts on a 3/8 or 1/2 oz football jig? As in how many pads, strands, etc of silicone and then also with round rubber?

Also, what have you founf to be most successful with using rattles with a handtied skirt? Rattle collar in front or behind skirt? Using collar for the skirt and not hand tying?

Thanks!

Cidgrad,

I usually use two pads with most skirts except the smaller ones (1/8 oz.). I also use two strips of fine round rubber up to 3/8 oz. then usually jump up to regular round rubber, or I mix one pad of silicone and one strip of rubber. Then sometimes throw a few accent strands in. On jigs with a double collar it’s easy to add the rattle band. On jigs without double collars you can build you skirt with the rattle band and add a few wraps of thread or wire to it after it is in place on the jig.

TJ