smitty919

painting setups

Here's a dumb question, but KcDano's post made me think of it, and I can't stop. Oh, woe!! :o)

I've used compressors for years, and drained the water from them periodically. I've also used water separaters for years on my shop compressor.

But there's never been water in my water separaters, including the one for my air brush.

Am I do something wrong, like, maybe, I don't have it "turned on" or some other stupid, obvious thing?

I don't have any trouble with my painting, but now I'm going out in the rain to check both compressors' water separaters. Again.

50' on one, 100' on the other.

My airbrush water separator is 5' above the compressor, which sits on the floor, and has a 50' hose connected.

It's a 2hp pancake compressor, with a two gallon tank, so usually it only cycles when I first turn it on, and once or twice when I'm painting.

The other water separator is mounted to the handle of the 4hp shop compressor with a 20 gallon tank. I used to take it to jobs and I wanted it to always be attached. I use that one occasionally now, but, when I do, I can run it until it cycles a few times.

I just figured there was some adjustment I hadn't made, and the separators weren't working at all, so that's why they don't have anything in them.

Great idea KC, my trap is right on the tank and never get any water either. It's raining today so I might check it out, and build one of your traps. Question- who is going to line up at the checkout, with the personal feminine, hygienic, thingo's for me. pete

Clean the brushes with it? No sheet! :o) Just couldn't resist.

Yeah, I remember the tp oil filters. I miss being able to work on my own car, but I don't miss the cuts that I'd find when I washed my hands with gas afterwards. My first new car was a truck, and I could fix anything on it.

The trucks I drive nowadays are all computer controlled. I don't dare touch anything. Of course, the don't need a tuneup for 100,000 miles, so there's really nothing for me to do anyway. And they ride like cars, which is a great improvement.

I always remember what Carol Shelby, who designed the Shelby Cobra, told a reporter in the late 90's when the reporter asked if Shelby was nostalgic for the old muscle cars. Shelby said, "These new cars are so much better, you've got to be kidding".

But I do miss the sense of knowing I could fix it myself if it broke.

B&B,

That's a serious paint shop. My Mother used to work for an outfit, Photo Chemical, that did a lot of painting for the govt., and your booth would be right at home there.

I see you use what looks like an airless gun. What do you spray with it? I have an old cup gun in the garage that I used to spray lacquer with, back when I made furniture. I never thought about using it for spraying lures.

Hmmmm......

Thanks guys.

guncloseup.jpg

#1 - Aztek (sp?) I dont use it much. I have all the tips for it but use the extra fine tip occasionally.

#2 - Touch Up Gun (gravity feed)- I use it to prime and basecoat lures.Most of the time I am either priming or basecoating 30 or more lures at a time so it really comes in handy.I usually clear coat 30 or more lures at a time so it comes in handy for that as well. Although this particular gun was extremly exspensive,it was well worth the money in the time it saves me.It really shhots a sweet smooth pattern and holds 8 ounces.

#3 -Siphon Feed large tip - General use

#4 -Siphone Feed fine tip- General use

#5 -Siphon Feed fine tip - General use

#6 -Gravity Feed w/modified splatter tip- I personally think a gravity feed gun works better than siphon feed when doing splatter. This is the only time I use a gravity feed gun. ( except the large cpacity touch up gun for priming and basecoat)

#7 - Air Blower (constant 80 PSI) an absolute must!

Jim, there is a method to my madness that would probably run most people crazy.Fortunatly I have most of my clients trained to seperate there lures into ziplocks or twist tie them. If they want something copied I ask them to cut a picture out of a magazine/send the bait they want copied or sometimes I already have the pattern or bait. Regardless I ask them to seperate the baits and label or tag them in some way. If they dont take the hooks and hardware off I charge them an extra $3.00 same goes for if they send it in the package. I have way to much going on to take hardware off, keep up with it and the package.

Sometimes I de- hook baits with side cutters and the client never see's the hardware again.

When I recieve baits from clients I throw them in a plastic dollar general basket with an index card with the clients name/#of baits/pattern.

When I prep the baits and tape the lips I write on the taped lip the pattern.From there its just hanging them in different groups as I am painting them.I average preping/priming/painting/or clearcoating about 30 baits a day most of the time so it can get a little trying at times.

Beleve me it is not as simple as I explianed .As everyone that custom paints knows,by the time you have actually started painting them, you have handled them so many times you have most of it in memory.

Believe me I have to keep the laptop and notes in the paint room with me so I can go back and look at emails and notes to make sure I am keeping on the right track.

Take Care Guys!

JT

Jim,

here's the Splatter Tip.

BADGER 165-50-0374 SPATTER TIP MODEL #'s 100, 150, & 200

When I got it I was not quite satisfied so I modified it a little.

The head cone protrudes fron the cap about 3/16's of an inch.I took a needle file and filed tiny grooves across the face of the cone.

Here's the touch up.

http://www.autorefinishdevilbiss.com/products.php?pg=1

Mine has a little age on it but still a Cadalac.

Regards.

JT