Nathan

spoon making video

I live in Detroit my uncle used to work at Eppinger making Dardevles. Now he works at another plant. We were talking the other day about making some spoon dies. He's good friends with the owner where he works now and can get free press time on the weekends. I was thinking about paying someone to make me some dies. From what I understand they're not hard if you have the know how and epuipment. I have the know how but no equipment. I could do it all but except I'd need a edm to cut the punch. Since an edm is a million dollar machine I'm SOL. If I come into some money I'd like to try having some dies made.

This piece of video comes from a TV show on Discovery Channle called "How's it Made" and is a about a 5 minute space. The manufacturer in the Mepp's by Sheldons', Inc., the world headquarters for Mepps, in Antigo, Wisconsin.

They start by showing the 4 step process of making a spoon, putting 2 holes and lure name in step 1, a backbone support bend in step 2, step 3 is stamping the shape to cut it out, and step 4, actually cutting out the shape.

From there it is ready for metal plating: either copper, silver, or 24Kt gold. After that, it can also be painted with quick dry ink of have a sticker add to the spoon or lure.

Next they get into adding a split ring on one end of the spoon and a split ring and treble hook on the other end. As they are discussing treble hooks, they show how a couple of roster hackle feathers are added as the come straight out the bottom of the hook and once anchored with thread, they are wrapped around the shank of the treble hook.

The average time to complete a bait start to finish is between 45 minutes and 2 hours.