- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JeffG

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 01:07 PM

How is everyone putting on the Gills on their crankbaits. I see some that seem to perfect for a stencil. I will paint one and be happy and the next is not the greatest.....so what is it stamps for stencils. Thanks in advance for any info.

#2 smitty919

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 01:14 PM

mine is just a pice of plastic cut to a shape i like "stencil"
trick is that less is more and you need to spray on a slight angle to get the depth look.

#3 b75nweav

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 02:58 PM

I use the purple painters tape. Draw the fin on it with a sharpie cut it out with an xacto knife and put it on your bait. Then shoot it with what ever color you want leaving the stencil on I use a Micron 5mm marker that I cut the tip (kind of at an angle to make it plyable) on to make it very small and make quick strokes through your stencil. Makes a very nice fin. Oh yea make sure you make a reverse for the other side just stick 2 pieces of the tape together (sticky side together) before you cut it out and wa-la.........Have fun.......

#4 BobP

Advanced Member

• TU Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,747 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 04:17 PM

I always use a reversable stencil since it's the only way I can manage to get the gills on both sides of the bait the same.

#5 mwbassin

• TU Member
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Posted 02 February 2008 - 08:42 PM

For the gills I use a hole puncher. Punch out a hole on some paper, then take the punched out piece and tape it back on the hole you just made. Looks like a cresent moon. lay it on your bait and paint. Will try to post pic soon. Michael