TMI

powder additives to paint?

Hi All! I've been using embossing powders for a while to create raised eyes and ridges on my lures...and while shopping for those powders, I've also noticed that most hobby shops sell other powder additives for "liquid mediums". Based on their descriptions, it sounds like you can add these powders to your existing paints to add "glow-in-the-dark", "pearlescent", "metallic", etc. appearances in your paint job.

I was wondering if anyone has ever used these types of additives, and if so, do they work okay through the airbrush?

Thanks!

- TMI

The one's I am familiar with are flakes. If you are talking about the embossing powders, I have no experience with those. You will, however, need to bury any sort of glitter/flake. Using multiple topcoats is generally how it's done, but you could use a clear coat as well, such as a clear base.

The glow in the dark is really the only one I would question, I would think it would be pretty much a translucent liquid when mixed. Pay attention to what the makeup of these are as well, versus your paint (water, solvent)

I have used hi-lite powders used for soft plastics. You can either mix it in your epoxy clear coat or spray it on. If you put in your clear coat, you will have no control where it goes. In other words, the entire bait is covered in it. Not that big of a deal though if you have a light colored bait with a dark back. The powder needs a dark background to show up very well. The darker the background the better the effect.

To spray it, I mix a little up with some Minwax Polyacrylic...the water based version of Polyurethane and it sprays through a fine tipped Pasche just fine. I used the water based because I use water based paints like Createx. Then just spray it where you want it just like a paint. What I have found is in order to get the effect you want, It generally doesn't take much at all when mixed with the epoxy clear coat. However, when spraying, I generally have to make several passes to get the effect. If you spray it, you really can't appreciate it untill you clear coat it though. You can order this stuff from any of the soft plastic suppliers...M-F, Lurecraft, Del-mart, etc.

TJ