Sixgun

heat source

Hi all. I'm new here. I've learned alot just reading.

I'm going to get started pouring my own jig heads. I've read all I can on here and elsewhere about lead safety and such. My question is..Will a 1000 watt single "burner" heating element heat a cast iron vessel to the temperature I need to melt wheel weights?

I'm not doing large volume. Just a hundred or so for myself and friends.

I found a 1000 watt "stove" at the local Dollar General. It's sturdy enough to support the weight of my cast iron skillet and lead. It looks like it could also do double duty heating plastics for jig worms.

I appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Ray

P.S. My back up plan is to use a MAPP or Propane torch...I know that'll work!

Sixgun, Take my advice, and listen to the two posts above mine. I have a Lee IV bottom pour pot, for about $50 it is the best money you will ever spend if you want to start pouring. Safety definitely #1 and the ease of use #2. I guarantee you won't be sorry with this choice.

psv

These are the ones at Barlow's 453015-110V (IV holds up to 4lbs.) or 453039 (4-20 holds up to 20lbs.).

Sixgun

Another advantage to the pots is that it accelerates the process.

You can find pots on ebay and parts (heating elements) are available.

"I'm not doing large volume. Just a hundred or so for myself and friends."

That's how it starts................................. Next thing you know - it's just one more mold and I'll quit. Or - I don't need to pour, I can quit anytime I want to.

Sixgun,

I would suggest melting wheel weights in a different pot other than your bottom pour pot. Wheel weights have alot of crap in them. I use a turkey fryer and a little cast iron pot to melt the wheel weights down. I then take a magnet and pull all the metal clips out. Use a littl ladel to skim the slag off the top then pour into ingots. This gets most of the crap off. Then use the ingots in your bottom pour. This keeps the crap from clogging up the spout and causing it to drip. I agree with LedHed. Once you start pouring jigs, you just can't quit. Wait til you start to paint them!!!!

Thanks,

Benjamin

That's how it starts................................. Next thing you know - it's just one more mold and I'll quit. Or - I don't need to pour, I can quit anytime I want to.

Wait til you start to paint them!!!!

So True!!!!!!!!!!!!! One things to another........................

Regards, PSV