CreekMonster

Making Fiber Optic Eyes

How to add Fiber Optic Eyes that will make your hard bait come to life.

See Below, PDF Tutorial Attached.

Making Fiber Optic Eyes.pdf

Edited by redg8r

The fibers actually transfer light kinda like a wire with electricity. If light hits one side, it is transfered to the other side and vice versa. So, if light reaches the eyes under water, they will give the apperance of "glowing". But, if there is no light, there is no glowing. In reality, the clearer the water, the better effects you get. Problem is, it would be more effective in stained water, where the light does not reach the lure, thus no glow. Kinda redundant isn't it. The optics make for a cool looking lure but IMHO, they're not nearly as good at catching fish as they are at catching "FISHERMAN". lol.... Not to say they don't have an advantage underwater, to me it seems to be a "selling" point rather than a "catching " point. hope this helps.

Jay

Jay.

With LEDs and batteries always getting smaller, I wonder what it would actually take to make a bait with powered fiber optic eyes. I could see a two piece wooden bait using a battery for weight. If you ground a dimple in the fiber optic strand, with the LED glued in place, when the circuit is powered, the eyes should glow.

power_eyes.jpg

power_eyes.jpg

power_eyes.jpg

power_eyes.jpg

power_eyes.jpg

power_eyes.jpg

power_eyes.jpg

power_eyes.jpg

2780_thumb.attach

I actually ordered some "laser lights" (tritium capsules) with this in mind. Drilling a small hole in the fiber and using the tritium as a power source with no batteries. Problem is the tritium capsules were tiny and didn't emit enough light for my application. I have purchased a couple of lighted lures to disassemble and use as such, the light is red and flashes and should give a wild looking effect especially in the green fiber. But i've been busy and haven't had a chance to take the lures apart to see what i'd be working with. The LED idea is by far the best, and brightest, and finding a small circuit activated by water would be great. I used a small LED to get the glow in the pics I posted in the gallery. Too bad I'm not into electronics.Thanks for the input, now I'm gonna be up all night searching for that perfect something to tear apart..... LOL

Jay

Just thinking on this subject. I wonder what effect a fiber optic set would have on something like a popper. Drill a hole through the back and set fiber optic piece. It would get lit up from the outdoor light. I am thinking it could be an awesone effect. Might be worth looking further into.

You would have to drill through the bait very carefully. Being cautious of the clearcoat and precisely lining up the holes for the eyes. Some kind of jig would help. Then premeasure the optic to fit and shape it before you place it in the lure. As for the materials, there should be a link in the tutorial. Get the phone # from the site and call them. They are very helpful. Hope this helps a little.

Jay

Theoretically you could, but.... I've experimented with a few plastics and it pretty tough to line the hole up on both sides.Also, some plastic hard baits have weights in the nose(usually steel balls) and this can cause problems too. When and if you drill the bait, be very careful and patient with the process because the least bit of "catch" of the bit will cause the plastic to fracture thus ruining the lure.:censored: This happened to me a few times.Your best bet is a wooden lure such as Rapala or Poes.These baits can have a tough clearcoat that can fracture also. The key is patience. Sorry it took so long for a reply....GOOD LUCK..

Jay