Orion

Pine Questions And... Juniper??

12 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I live in NM and if any of you know the state we pretty much only have pine, ponderosa (big pine tree), aspen, and juniper trees. It hard for my to find good amounts of balsa unless I order some online.

I was thinking of trying some pine to make some crankbaits and was wondering if anyone who has used pine before had some pointers. Like, wood quality, tools, etc.

Now, has anyone ever used aspen or juniper wood to make crankbaits? Let me know if you have because I can just walk into my back yard and get some decent pieces of juniper and aspen. If no one ever has I might try it.

Thanks,

I´ve used Swedish pine & Aspen both works good for me just remember to dry it thorougly, look into your firewood stack if you got any aspen there bring it inside to dry

Thanks for the info. Right now it's snowing like crazy so I'm not going to find and good pices of wood now. I'll try some aspen when I get a chance.

I use Kauri Pine, no growth rings, machines well, hard, sands smooth as a babies bum, and is (for me) just the right weight- problem is it's a long way from where you are . Pete

I think I might run over to the local lumber yard and buy some beech wood to use.

Pete put "if found please deliver to Cheesehead" on a few logs and toss them in the sea. give them a gently nudge in my direction and I'll hope they arrive soon:lolhuh:

Thanks for the info. Right now it's snowing like crazy so I'm not going to find and good pices of wood now. I'll try some aspen when I get a chance.

kbhere if you want to use some aspen that is wet cut some small pieces and put in microwave and you can kiln dry it this way kb

google it and it will tell you how long to keep in oven and the temp