chas48

Black Crank bait 4 night?

I've use a black jitterbug for LM bass at night & have had sucess. I have a friend that uses a black Super TopRaider for night musky fishing & he's caught some skis with it. I don't remember seeing a black crankbait before. Most black baits are topwater or sub-surface baits with the exception of a black worm or lizard. It can't hurt to give it a try.

Bomber used to make one. I have one or two of the old model 3a's They catch fish day or night. I dont know if they still produce it or not but the new model a's are not nearly as good as the old ones. They changed the plastic and the rattles in them. When Pradco took over it went downhill. I dont know who owns Bomber now. I would make them a wide wobble bait to move alot of water if you are using them for night fishing. They work real well in real off colored water too. The old Bombers had orange eyes. Dont know if that helped but it was a cool color scheme.

Can't hurt, but on the other hand I'm not necessarily buying the "black at night" theory. Bass prey don't change to black at night and the bass have no problem whatsoever finding and eating them anyway. IMO, if you have a confidence lure that catches bass well in daytime, it will work at night too.

I have used black top waters for bass and musky and have done well with them, but never have used a black crankbait. The black theory is that the dark lure shows up better Silhouetted against a black sky. I am not sure of that either, but I do know that "the bigger the better" at night. The bigger baits make more noise and have a bigger profile which makes them easier to find from my experience.

Rod

When I was younger and keener, I used to make black 2" diving lures. I would walk along the lake bank at night (darker the better) and cast ahead and close to parallel to the shore. With a really slow retrieve, so the lure was just swaggered on the top inch or so of water, big trout feeding close used to bust them, great fun, really gets the adrenaline going. Tried colors too, but less successfully- black crickets are good too. pete

I have painted several black cranks for folks who spend their Summer fishing at night.... Mostly shallow running square bill types with a loud thump sound chamber.... Solid black... large yellow eyes..... with red pollyflake in the devcon....... The fishing reports have all been positive.... I keep getting more to paint......

I personally prefer a dark red, orange belly and a black splatterback.. but that is just me........

I fish a black crankbait or jerkbait almost exclusively in the darker water around here to get a better outline. I think on nights when there is alot of moonlight a black bait is the best. On the new moon nights something black with added glow stripes can be pretty effective. Black always gives the best outline.

repaint_3.jpg

Can't hurt, but on the other hand I'm not necessarily buying the "black at night" theory. Bass prey don't change to black at night and the bass have no problem whatsoever finding and eating them anyway. IMO, if you have a confidence lure that catches bass well in daytime, it will work at night too.

darker colors are used during low light situations for visual aid more than baitfish imitation