kelly

pressure treated wood

15 posts in this topic

I in the proses finishing my basment (for a lure making room) and am loking at a extra 16 foot pressere treated 2x4. Looking down the board im seeing lure after lure. Has any one used it. Im thinking no rot might not have to seal it as much just devcon after painting it. I have it so bad I counted 3 knots in it almost all usable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yoy will have to prepare it to stop the grain from raising, so it might as well be a sealer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pressure treated wood is infused with copper and a poison that deters termites. Not anything you want to be breathing the dust from - that's why the manufacturer cautions against burning it in a fireplace. Besides, if you're gonna sweat to make 100 crankbaits, might as well use wood that performs well and is easy to work. Cost of the wood will be the least expensive component. Why not go crazy and pay 10 cents for 1/4 oz of good stuff?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm with 'BobP', this stuff is bad S***. I'm a firefighter and the smoke contains copper chloride, arsenic and god knows what else, so does the sanding dust, keep clear of it - you may notice they don't make it much any more, or they don't here anyway. pete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

new presuure treated woods contain a newr less toxic preservative called AQC or ACQ. this stuff can cause steel to rapidly corrode. Your efforst are going to be too good to waste on this inadequate lumber for lure building. Return the board get some good wood and do it right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not to sound like a total newbie about wood but i am what is pressure treated wood? is it the green treated or is it the regular 2x4 used to do framing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pressure treated is the green stuff you use for outside projects. It's lots heavier than regular framing 2x4's because it's impregnated with chemicals to retard bacteria, mildew and insect attack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

nooooooo no no no no do not use it bad bad bad.

you dont want to play with that dust it will win over your lungs.

safty first.. :yay:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you I am glad I asked here first. I will just return it and trade for it good wood.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish I had known about the down side of using pressure treated wood a couple years ago.I built a deck and had a bunch of leftover 1 1/2" square pieces that I couldn't force myself to throw out so I turned out about 100 salt water lures.To add insult to injury I have an existing lung condition.DOH!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just an interesting fact.......most of this new so called less toxic pressure treated lumber in the big stores is coming from China. That alone tells me it is probably more poisoness than the old stuff........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pressure treated wood is infused with copper and a poison that deters termites. Not anything you want to be breathing the dust from - that's why the manufacturer cautions against burning it in a fireplace. Besides, if you're gonna sweat to make 100 crankbaits, might as well use wood that performs well and is easy to work. Cost of the wood will be the least expensive component. Why not go crazy and pay 10 cents for 1/4 oz of good stuff?
Im with BobP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now