ChadK

Need advice for High Volume Stick Pouring

A couple thousand a week is no problem for hand pouring, on stik baits there are a few things that will make the difference.

Stay warm post with mixers are a good idea

even prestone pots with mixers will work

obvisouly the prestone pots are much cheaper than sta-warm but you get what you pay for. Personally I would go with the prestone pots and use the profits from the baits to buy better equipment.

the sta-warm pots won't burn your plastic.

I have been told by people doing this that its faster to have someone cook the plastic in the microwave then toss it in the pots to keep it warm while your pouring.

then your other expense is the molds, you need enough mold so that from the time you pour you keep pouring till the first mold you pour is hard enough to take the baits out.

depending on how fast you pour will depend on how many molds you need.

it could be anywere from 30 cavities to 500 cavities.

some of my customers do it with one person and others have 2-3 people helping.

one cooking plastic one pouring and one taking out the baits.

always start off slow and at the least expence then build up as you can. sure it might be more work involved in the begining as you get organized and more equipement it will be much easier

Delw

I assumed he wanted to know how to do it, the amount of production he wants is the whole Key, High volume for one could be 1000 baits a week and for others it could man 10000 baits a week, then there are others that it could me 3000-10,000 per day, with quanitiies change the process of doing such a thing.

well, the answers were a help, because I'm not familiar with the Stay Warm Pots. Del's in luck because I'll be ordering those molds this week most likely. Now I've just got to figure out the best and economical way to get it done.

Yes, " volume" is a relative term for sure. For me right now, a couple hundred in a 3 hour evening would be my maximum. Keep In mind I have a day job and would be able to pour for just a couple/three hours in the evenings a few nights a week. Ideally I need to be able to crank out 3-5 hundred in those evening sessions.

I was just wanting to see what kind of set up the guys who are able to do this kind of pouring are doing it with.

Is it Micro's, Lee Pots, Hot Plates, or what? How many molds do you need to be able to do it with.

I need to get set up quick to strike while the irons hot so I appreciate everyones responses.

Maybe someone can give me a part number or source for the stay warm or other warmer. So basically this is just a warmer with a stirrer??? So it would keep your plastic warm so you dont have to keep heating. But it is not used for pouring. you dispence the plastic from the warming pot into.....What??? your Pirex cup for pouring??

What kind of cost are these things?

Are there any other methods you guys are using to pour say 1-2hundred an hour or more.

sta-wam pots will cook your plastic, just most of the guys I have talked to like to precook there plastic in the microwave cause its faster. the pots come from 3 quart to 15 gals, even more.

these pots cost around 1k and more,$585 for the smaller modle and thats with out a mixer sta-wrm will advise you to get a mixer from another company I have the name of them somewhere. the reason being is thats all you need for the type of work your going to be doing and its about 30-40% cheaper.

but you will have about 1k into each pot and mixer easy going with a sta-warm.

Like I said earlier you can go cheaper with a pretone pot. and a mixer is alot cheaper that way also, you could probally build 3 pots and mixers for the price of one set-up from sta-warm.

All that being said your going to end up with sta-warm pots if you do this for any length of time due to the fact that you won't have to deal with burning plastic, just leave it and let it set for a few hours if you want and it will be fine. its kinda like any profession you can get buy with the cheap stuff but eventually you will realize the good stuff cost money, snap-on vs chinese tools etc.

On the mixer( you could use them on the sta-warm pots as well) the one mbrodie(sp) gave in a post recently is the best for the money, sure it looks crude but you saved 200-500 bucks easy.

with pyrex you can pour quite a few baits the only problem is you need to constantly be reheating plastic as you will burn through it very fast.

lee pots won't work for high volume and need modificatins to make them work good with glitter and salt.

the whole key to pouring succesfully is keeping that plastic mixed, if you buy a pot and not a mixer your wasteing your time as the baits will be all different and you will burn your plastic.

buying or making a pot for each color is also a great thing to do, that way you don't have to clean out the pot every time. of course you only do this as money allows no need in breaking the bank to save some extra time.

Edit: I forgot to add the stay warm pots have different fittings you can put on the pouring spout for different levels of flow.

As far as adding componets, the best way is to premeasure every component you use.

for example lets say you have a pot that holds 2 gals. and to make your formula it takes 1 cup of green glitter 1/2 cup of red glitter 5 oz of green pumpkin.

make sure you have them in the containers ready to go before you start pouring.

make a few containers of red and green glitter and green pumkin. also have you salt and plastic ready to go in the same format. so if you buy items by bulk when you get them divy them up into containers you will use.

it boils down to organization

Ryan is dead on, sometimes all the extra stuff just gets in the way.

You seem to be unsure as to if you have them sold or if your deal is gonna happen, etc. My suggestion would be to see what you can do without adding anything extra, except for maybe molds, you can never have too many molds, then see where it goes from there.

If you're gonna be a hand-pourer, be one, if you want to sell bulk baits, that's a different ballgame!

Yes, I still pour with only pyrex and micro and I can crank out 100 sticks in an hour by myself. I mix my plastic,color,etc in about 4 pyrex cups prior to heating and get started. If I have some help, such as cutting off the caps etc. I could probably get 150 per hour. That is humping it pretty fast for me though. 200 in a night is high volume for me.

Under $200 will melt and stir 2 qts no problem in under 10 minutes and with just 3 molds; 4 cavity sticks, puts out 250 and hour. 5 molds I think would be just about the most 1 person could do efficently. But numbers would go way up. The 2 person version is coming soon just another nipple and valve on the other side and 2 people can tap the same heated plastic. The kids, love to help...

220638.jpg

Wow,

I dont know how you guys do that many. I use Pyrex cups and 2 cups takes me about 6 minutes to heat from start to finish and with hand pouring and topping off, my plastic cools where I could not get near that capacity. I have to reheat before I am even through 2 cups. My garage is a little cold maybe thats why.

095655.jpg

Well it is a Presto Pot Walmart $22.50

Stiring motor Granigers 4z147 $77.50

1/4" brass nipple $2.00

1/4 to 3/8" bushin $2.00

3/8" ball valve $ 8.00

some metal or aluminum to make motor support and stiring paddle $10.00

3/8" threaded rod 12" is plenty $3.00

3/8" coupling motor shaft to threaded rod

some 3/8" nuts

some 1/8" machine screws nuts to attach motor

Table to support everything mine is a router table but can be made of wood.

tools; drill bits to 7/16"

1/4 npt tap $7.00

file & hack saw your done

Want one I'll give you a price done in a box tested?

Video http://www.dropshots.com/MBroggi#date/2008-02-02/15:26:18