outdooradvantage

Discounts for bait shops?

I agree with Sterling. Why should he get a discount? Is he going to sell them cheap, or mark them up? Be careful not to sell yourself too cheap just for the sake of getting into a shop. Make a believer out of the owner and have all of your friends go in asking if he carries your baits, if not, walk out. :mad:

The fact that he is looking for a bulk price break isn't surprising, but, by not being able to package your baits under your branding is costing you future bussiness from fisherman who will want to buy your baits repeatedly. How are you supposed to build brand recognition? If he doesn't want to play nice, help your kids set up a portable bait stand like kids did when I was younger. What's he going to do if a twelve year old is selling better baits for a better price?

I've got a store that bought some baits that way from me. The next time I was in his store he had them in a bucket, no packaging at all, on the lowest shelf below all the other baits of that kind. To me it made my baits look like some kind of cheap, discount, second hand bait. I agree about the branding. No one will know who makes them, and besides if your guy does it the same way my guy did, they probably won't sell anyway, and the guy will say, that nobody wants your baits. I wouldn't do it.

Hi

You have them cheap enough all ready.

For General Information to those who are not fimiliar with fishing tackle discounting.

To a Retailer: 40% off of Suggested Retai Price

To a Distributon: 50 & 10 % off of suggested Retail Price (this will give him a 25% profit if he sells to the Dealer @ 40% off)

Additional discounts can include real large volume purchase, early pay discount (normaly 2% 10 Da EOM) Early Order with say a 90 day pay but pay early with a 5 to 10 % Discount. Also promotional Discounts.

I think You should get the idea from this ... Don't forget that you have to include your 10% Fed excis tax in your cost as well as all shipping considerations.

If you have a Rep selling for you that is a 10% for what he sells it for.

Any other questions let me know ... this "Old" brain might can pull it out from all the years in this biz.

JSC

I agree with the other posts-guys that are under-pricing are hurting everyone! hand -pours are very time consuming, our time is valuable! I sell mainly to stores, and would not sell without my brand, however, customers know they can buy specially ordered bulk. -with my label on them. removing your label, and bargain-binning cheappens your product.

Cards are only good if he actually displays them prominantly or puts them in the hands of customers.

By him telling you that he will sell your baits one at a time(bulk bins); he is telling you that he ignorant to hand pours. (the quality of the material and the time it takes)

Insist on having your brand on the packages or if they are loose in a bin; that there is a "large" sign with your name, email/phone number/website on the bin. That way customers will know how to contact you directly.

www.novalures.com

This one of those American flag waving, get on the old soap box, shout and scream issues of mine. It just torques my bolt, when folks sell themselves short. You are selling hand crafted, one of a kind soft plastics, to a very high standard of quality. As a small manufacturer, you inspect each bait before it is packaged to ensure it meets YOUR standards before you put YOUR NAME on it! You have to follow a few business practices that help you live with yourself. Don't let anyone ever take advantage of you.

This one of those American flag waving, get on the old soap box, shout and scream issues of mine. It just torques my bolt, when folks sell themselves short. You are selling hand crafted, one of a kind soft plastics, to a very high standard of quality. As a small manufacturer, you inspect each bait before it is packaged to ensure it meets YOUR standards before you put YOUR NAME on it! You have to follow a few business practices that help you live with yourself. Don't let anyone ever take advantage of you.

I do not like to see it either, and for the guys that can't figure it out, they end up quitting because they sell baits, but never have any money! I never understood the sell it cheaper than the store mentality.

Seems that so many are doing it, they've unwittingly gotten the public trained to buy on price, not quality, they missed the point of offering handmade premium tackle altogether.

I agree with you Mr. Peoples. You know Bass Pro Shop doesn't have a problem sell their jointed hard baits for $30, $40, or even $50 when they get it, I would go to Peoples Choice and get a bait from someone who has taken the time to make sure it meet a high level of quality, than form someone more worried about meeting a production quota.

Maybe we need a Tackle Makers Union Tackle Makers Union International... yeah, we can insist on only buying American (and British, and Aussie) tackle made by Tackle Makers Union International. Buying from any non-union tackle makers, would be justification to launch a strike against the offender.

If only it was this easy to bring a new world order, tackle makers of the world unite. Throw off the chains of opression... Maybe I'm getting a little too excited, I'll save this for another time.

Jeff, just remember, we're behind you 100 percent. Don't sell your skills short. None of us should ever seel ourselves short.

Bruce