Brian_Va

Danvise

I've been probing the market on rotary vises. I'm sorry but I can't begin considering Renzetti, Peak, Dyna King etc or any of the other sexy vises. To me thats saying I already have everything but this. I did find a number of new-to-me rotary vises that might do the job for well under 100 bills. But that Danvise keeps slapping me in the face everywhere I go. Now, I'm kinda content wiff mah lil ole Cabelas Super Vise II. It's a real rotary, and it's been serving me well for years. However I've ground down the jaws at least once in the 10 years I've been using it. Looks like they need another grindn' job.

I haven't read anything bad about the Danvise, in fact that Delrin plastic ends up being tougher than I realized, it's been labeled as a replacement for some metal parts in manufacturing. The biggest complaints were jaws failing or metric sizing which made after market attachments a pain to fit. None the less Danvise has been too happy to replace the entire unit with it's lifetime warranty.

Whats your opinion on this rather space aged looking rotary?

Hi Brian

If your contented with your present vise why change it ?. Can you not just get a new set of jaws if they will not take another 'grind'. I know the vise you are refering to and have read some quite negative comments on its ability and longevity. Why not scour ebay and see if there is a suitable replacement on there ?. True rotary vises are expensive and to be fair I wonder if there is really any need to be 'rotary' at all. My vice is a simple cheap affair which has the ability to spin but is not a rotary vise and I manage quite nicely with it. If I need to go underneath I simply reposition the hook.

I would say money better spent on quality tying materials than vises. Why repair if it aint busted.

philB

Brian VA

Firmly believe that Regal is the best vise for the money. If you want to go the Danvise route – have one in the box (can not verify if it was used or not – came in an eBay lot) that I want to trade. Looking for early issues of Fly Tyer magazine – especially the first 3 years.

Forgot griffin vise I have used griffin alot and love the quality. Had there spider vise and liked it so I up graded to the montana mongoose a year or so ago with no regrets. Not trying to change your mind danvse is a good vise. Just had alot of luck with griffin and some of there tools. They offer alot of after market tools for your vise to. I apologize got me all excited about my toys. Ill stop now.