ALLCITY guy

Different consistency with Pro Tech powder

I have just bought two different colors of Pro Tech Powder. One color has a consistency of super fine grains of sand (black), while the other (watermelon) is like the consistency of baby powder. Is this normal for the two different consistencies? Reason I ask is, I am having tremendous problems with the watermelon color only!!!!! I have not had one problem at all with the black powder.... The watermelon drips real bad, once bake the jigs... My heating process and hand movement is the exact same for both colors.

Thanks...... Your help and support is awesome!!!!!!!!!

Yes, consistencies vary from color to color and manufacturer to manufacturer. I personally don't use Protec black, but I do use the Protec watermelon. I don't have a problem with the watermelon. My first question is how are you applying it (fluid bed, paint brush or swishing through the powder)? Secondly, if you are swishing it through the powder are you fluffing your powder? Lastly is your jig hot enough to melt the powder when it instantaeneously goes through the powder? I have some powder, that must be put on the paint brush method way only. The powder I have is similar to corn starch. It packs very easily. Also some powders that are similar to what I've mentioned, usually have to have more heat to make it flow smoothly. Many times when I put this powder on it seems dull and kind of lumpy. I take it back over my heat gun, and heat it until I see it get shiny like wet candy from your mouth. Once you see that, you will know that the powder is really thinned and melted evenly. These are just my thoughts on this. I'm sure you will get more responses.

I use both of these colors from Pro Tech in fluid beds. I have found the black one of the easiest to apply. Now the watermelon is a different story. I find it difficult to fluidize in the fluid bed, difficult but not impossible. All colors will be of different consistencies I think mainly due to the pigments needed to make that particular color. Don't be afraid of them, practice and become used to each one. The criticism should be withheld for the finished product.

Thanks!!!!!With this paint I swish it through and fluff my powder after two or three jigs. Maybe, I will try to apply the green with a brush; by dusting it on rather than swishing it through. Maybe I need to increase the heat on the jigs as well. There is no set pattern it happens when the powder turns into the wet candy look instantly and when it remains dull. I feel that I am doing everything correctly and maybe I just need to practice and work with this color more. If anyone has anymore tips or words of wisdom, I would greatly appreciate it.

How do you apply powder paints with a brush ........ I would not have thought that was possidle because of the heat necessary to mely the paint .......

It's mainly used for multi-color application, but you can put one color on over the entire jig. The brush is put in the powder, then the powder is sprinkled on a hot jig. If you want more info, PM me your e-mail address.