lawle102

Please throw the new guy a bone!

I am looking at getting into lure making. And all I can say is im extremely excited to get started. Now I need a comprehensive list of what I will need. Money is not a huge issue but I am looking to keep it around $500 to start. I was wondering about:

-Airbrushes-what kind, and price...like gravity feed etc...

-Paints- water base, powder coat.. i have no clue what i should be getting

-glitter-what type produces what type of flash...the more the better

-stencils- where, what kind and how to use them

-painting setup-how to get a suitable workspace set up

-lures and blanks-can you use lures you already have and can you contact companies like rapala or bill lewis to obtain blanks of their popular lures?

I think I listed quite a bit. But please help me out guys. I need every bit of information I can acquire right now. Please break me into this. Any help is much appreciated:eek:

lawle102.

Welcome to the Tackleunderground... the cyber-land of tackle knowledge. Even with the the info you are going to get on this site your going to find that there is no substitute for experience. There are a lot of Member Submitted Tutorials with information different aspects of lure making. You'll want to build a drying wheel to hang your baits on to dry.

All of the individual topics you've listed are perfect for doing site searches on... there is a lot of information that has already been discussed. Good luck.

I think I listed quite a bit. But please help me out guys. I need every bit of information I can acquire right now. Please break me into this. Any help is much appreciated:eek:

Lawle, First.... my questions back at you would include..... What is your hurry and why all the stress? Both are rhetorical in nature .... but if getting started painting cranks is a stressor..... then you may want to step back and re-evaluate....

You have come to the right place to find your answers.... The answers to all your questions (and more) are located within the pages of TU. I don't mean to sound rude but may I recommend taking some time and going through the pages of this forum and reading the posts that are directly related to your questions.... Understand that everyone has an opinion about the "best setup"...."paint".... "compressor".... etc...etc...etc.. There is no one single best airbrush...... if there was, then we would all be using it...... But what works well for one may not be the best for another..... Some like Devcon..... some like Dick Nites.... You have to decide what is best for you and what you want to do...

Read...read...read.... PM specific questions... Read some more.... buy... then practice..practice.... practice...... Then experiment... practice... and read some more........ which, of course will lead to more buying...... It is a vicious cycle..... ;)

Then check in here for more info and during your experimenting you may discover something new (outside the box), which might improve all our work.....

Welcome and Good luck....

BJ

1) Experience

2) Expertise

3) Knowledge

a) Tackle you are making

B) The business itself

C) Supplies and Suppliers

d) others who can provide help and Ideas

4) Equipment

Good luck guy ....... keep the enthusiasm

Plenty of people here to give you ideas and tips and to help with the equipment.

As far as airbrushes ....... as someone said Badger is having a Garage sale ...... I know .... I bought 9 airbrushes and 3 compressors ....... probably the most versatile for you would be the 360. It uses 1 needle from wide to pencil line, external mix, is both gravity fed and jar fed. You will need a compressor. If you have one for tool use now, you can probably use it. Must be set for max 50 lbs. You will need an Air brush hose (best with a filter) and paints ........

It really depends on what you are making as to what really you need.

Good Luck

Rick

Paper clips.. Dog hairs... carpet fibers... sand paper.. pet monkey for fatfingers... 25 bucks for Dean.. straws hat so you look cool while you paint.. good compressor... 4 or 5 airbrushes...pump yourself up watching Barney!! THE PURPLE DINO on PBS!! "I LOVE YOU YOU LOVE ME" IMAGNATION!!! that's key.. Barney will help. I think that about covers it... 500 bucks should get you all these supplies.

Oh yeah... Walmart bags!!! You can make some cool marble effects with walmart bags!!! Saw that trick on a Barney tape!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!

Paper clips.. Dog hairs... carpet fibers... sand paper.. pet monkey for fatfingers... 25 bucks for Dean.. straws hat so you look cool while you paint.. good compressor... 4 or 5 airbrushes...pump yourself up watching Barney!! THE PURPLE DINO on PBS!! "I LOVE YOU YOU LOVE ME" IMAGNATION!!! that's key.. Barney will help. I think that about covers it... 500 bucks should get you all these supplies.

Oh yeah... Walmart bags!!! You can make some cool marble effects with walmart bags!!! Saw that trick on a Barney tape!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!

In the words of Foghorn Leghorn, "I say, "That boy ain't right."" Entertaining yes, right, I don't think so.

Hey Rookie, do you drink beer or white lightning? Which one you bringing to the TU Meet April 25-27?

Thanks Tater for the straw tip. I modified the design, as the paint didn't taste too good, also it promoted an excess of saliva, which affected the even coverage (bit patchy). I took the cap off a HP sauce bottle, drilled a fine hole in the bottom and superglued it to the straw. I completed the gravity feed mechanism by extending the hole into the straw. To control the flow of paint, I tied a sewing needle of suitable diameter to the piercing ring in my eyebrow and insert the needle in the hole.

To increase the paint flow, I just looked surprised. Conversly, to reduce the paint flow, I just frown. This takes a little practice, as you have to control your emotions. Pleasantly surprised at how well the spray job was going, I accidently flooded the straw and splattered the paint job.

I pride myself with comming up with innovative solutions, but this time it's hats off to Tater! Hope you all try this one out, it really works! Have fun.

Lawle102, welcome to the mad house.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Mad house indeed Vman... mad house indeed.....:lol:

Geeze rhahn. Do you paint cars and stuff to??

Nope ........ just a beginner ....... but I figure at those prices I should be able to sell 6 of them the Air Brushes for a profit after the sale is finished and make enough to pay for the 3 that I keep ......... in addition I was also able to buy 3 older model Air Star 5 compressors for $25 each because I saw them as soon as they came on the website ......... and they go for around $240 each ..........so, I figure I will probably have at least 1 SOTAR, 1 or 2 360's and 1 155 and either 1 or 2 compressors basically for free ......... and I can learn with the different ones to see what I like the best for me ......... it seemed like a win win situation to me .......

A $500 budget is an excellent starting point. I mean, you have a lot of possibilities to start with. My advice would be first get some wood, a dremel (if you don't have one already), a compressor for the brush, and some wood. Cut some lure blanks, if you have lexan already then you got lips, and test them in a bath tub. Paint them and see what your lures need, then you can spend the rest on what improvements you need.

I am simply amazed at the insanity some of you bring yet for some odd reason I am intrigued. I am right at home with the rest of you nut jobs. I am going stir crazy up here in northern new york during the winter and i figured this will most definately eat up alot of my free time.

I have small 2 cylinder compressor that is almost brand new. I need to figure out how to tweak the compression down to 50psi but other than that I don't have anything else I have read about. I found a good spot to get lure blanks like rattle traps and rapala shap(close knock offs at least:lol: )

This site is amazing and I couldn't be happier with the knowledge and humor I have found on here. I was wondering if any of the guys here are willing to sell some of their lures. 1: for my own fishing purposes and 2: for my own learning purposes. Thanks again guys....oh and i forgot to mention. I am a young guy ..22 years old. so I have lots of free time and energy for this.

lawle102.

We're happy your happy. The truth is I wasn't really sure what to offer in the way of advice. There is a ton of information on TU and more coming every day. Badger, a current sponsor on TU, is nearing the close of their garage sale. It is possible to get a gravity fed airbrush for under $40.00.

There are some good Member Submitted Tutorials that cover Devcon 2 Ton application, how to make thru wire lures, painting fish scales, making bucktail, turning lures on a wood lathe, and the list goes on.

We are normally an entertaining group as you may have found, but once we get to know you a little, we can normally behave ourselves. It's been over 60 days since the last time I was fishing and I think I'm going through withdraw...