finlander

Paasche VL' cup

After reading a few posts here, i went down to look in the box and sure enuff, there was a cup. So it is partially a gravity feed. Never even thought of trying it. But it would seem easier to see the paint level in it than in a bottle after you've shaken it. How many use the cup that came with their bottom feed ab? Thanks.

I never use anything else! As long as it feeds from the bottom, it's still a paint sucker-upper, I.e., a syphon feed. The cup holds enough paint for 2-3 all-over color base coats on a bass bait. Hint - don't fill it to the top or it will spill out. I squirt paint straight into the cup and thin it with a spray bottle of water, mixing with a little plastic stick. Clean the cup and the syphon tube between colors with the same spray bottle.

Several TU guys use Windex to thin. I've tried it but didn't see enough difference from plain water to change over. Plus, I figure Windex has some soap in it and that probably acts to delay/retard/reduce the cohesion of the paint particles. I do use Windex to clean my brush between colors.

Fired up the compressor last night with the cup on the VL. It sputtered a pattern and the cup started getting bubbles in it to the point where I couldn't see the level of the paint. I believe I need to thin it more, maybe that will smooth out the spray. Compressor never seemed to stop running. Don't think that would matter much. If it is on or off. But, any ideas on the bubbling in the cup?

Bubbling paint in the cup signifies the airbrush tip is getting clogged. Thin your paint down to the consistency of milk. When air is released into the mix chamber of the brush, it has 2 possible outlets - the tip, where it should be going, or the paint cup, where it shouldn't.