Predator Bass Baits

How to use Devcon 2 ton

Instead of using tape, I also use a brush and run a bead of devcon along the lip much like you would paint a corner or an edge of a room with regular latex paint. I think that this serves to seal the gap and reinforce the lip better than if you had a clean edge. Also, as mentioned, you need to turn the lure while, or immediately after applying the devcon. I have a coat hanger rigged up to my cordless drill to suspend the bait and tape the trigger on the drill to turn slowly until it sets.

If you brush your DN on, you can dispense with the tape altogether; just paint it around the bill. Use a 3/8ths or so thick, soft, Camel hair brush, and each lure should take you about a minute--I know I couldn't tape and untape a crank bill that fast, and there's no mess to deal with--I always apply the last coat or two with the bill in the bait, and it's quick and simple.

This would be much quicker than learning to use an epoxy topcoat, and it is also less expensive than Devcon. You may have to adjust the weighting of your lures also as Devcon is thicker and heavier. I'm experienced with both epoxies and DN, and I can brush on a coat of Dicknite's much quicker than I can a coat of Devcon and that's just for one lure--several lures will go much quicker with the DN, because there's no mixing, no brushing out the bubbles, etc.

Dean

Thanks guy's

Seeing I already ordered the devcon, LOL

I will give it a shot.

What do you use to pour your DN into for brushing, have you found throw away's or do you use the bottom of a can , if so do you use the same can until build up is to much ? to hold the DN

I guess one Min. is less time then clean up of a bill.

Thanks again for your help

Bottom of a beer can works just dandy! Denatured alcohol works well as a solvent to clean your brush and the can. The 2 ton sets up pretty fast though and I would say that the "work time" for the purpose of coating a biat is actually less than 20 mintues. More like 5 minutes I think until it gets thick to the point where it will not level out well. Some guys thin the epoxy a bit with denatured alcohol to add some time to the set and cure. Either way you will want to set up an area to work and have everything ready to go once you start to mix the epoxy.

For DN I work out of 1/2 ounce metal-topped glass jars. This way I can use the entire jar (a lot of baits) before it thickens too much to be useable, and I seldom have any loss. Model Master sells these jars in a 5 pack with some pipettes as Mixing Jars at Hobbytown, etc.

Yake Bait has you covered on the Devcon usage.

A coat or two of DN over any epoxy coat will make it more durable and much more scratch resistant.

Dean

Member Submitted Tutorials - It's sort of a case of "you can't get there from here". But you can if you:

Click on FORUMS at the top of this page

Click on Member Submitted Tutorials on the bottom of that page.

Scroll down to the bottom of the results and change "Last 100 days" to "Beginning"

That will display all the tutorials that exist on TU.