zman

How to paint Walleye rig floats/blades help

I did some searching couldn't find no info anywhere about painting walleye rig floats. I got how to do the two color painting but have yet to figure out how to paint the stripes or lines on these (I added a pic) also the scales on these I know what they use but have yet to figure out a way to do it in bulk and get good results any ideas would really help.

I would also like to know of any companies that MAKE these I know the places that sell these I think Hagens being one but I want better pricing from the place that makes these

thanks zman:popcorn:

d3_1_b.JPG

d3_1_b.JPG

d3_1_b.JPG

d3_1_b.JPG

d3_1_b.JPG

d3_1_b.JPG

d3_1_b.JPG

d3_1_b.JPG

2673_thumb.attach

Component systems makes the paint for styrofoam if you haven't found that yet zman...

Clemmy

I have tried them years back have not tried the Styrofoam paint I started using acrylic paints because of odor and painting in basement. I had been getting my paints from Crescent Bronze paint company last time will maybe check out component systems again

ZMAN,

Try using an old comb to hold over the floats and spray with black paint for the stripes. Depending on how far over the float or which end of the comb you use, you can make bigger or smaller stripes. Hope it helps.

Thanks,

Benjamin

thats a good idea now if I can do it maybe on a bigger scale. I had an idea still about using like the shrink film type material and heat it to form around the amount I need to paint 100 to 200? and then let cool then cut the slits in it? not sure what material to use yet:drool:

Why not just get like a big ol' piece of wood and carve out little dimples into to keep the floats from rolling. then just make a stencil to fit over the wood and cut whatever shapes you need into the stencil according to where the floats are in the wood, then just spray one side let it dry for a little and spray the other. Might be a little work but its reusable and you could just do like 25 at a time or something. I don't know if it'll work just and idea I thought of.

Let's refine Orion's idea... Use a router to put a groove down a piece of wood. Use a table saw to add the comb effect. If you make it a 2 piece block, you could probable put 20 to 24 pieces in it at a time, if you made 6 pairs, you'd have a gross every time you reloaded your forms.

I think the heat shrink idea may be more trouble than it's worth. 1) the cost for a part of the job that gets discarded after 5 minute, 2) most heat shrink stays in place pretty good after it's applied.

Why not just get like a big ol' piece of wood and carve out little dimples into to keep the floats from rolling. then just make a stencil to fit over the wood and cut whatever shapes you need into the stencil according to where the floats are in the wood, then just spray one side let it dry for a little and spray the other. Might be a little work but its reusable and you could just do like 25 at a time or something. I don't know if it'll work just and idea I thought of.

Thats what I was sorta thinking of the shrink to fit thing would be some sort of plastic (be nice if I could vacuum form it around the board and then after setting I would mark where floats are then cut my slits or design?) not sure of the plastic what to use like the stuff they make the packaging out of it formed around the item

I tried the netting once with a wood frame built around it but the trouble with it was it would not form between the rows it was a crude design to test and did not get a good scale pattern) maybe the router idea and then metal rods to lay between the rows to hold netting down tighter to get a better pattern?

I think if you let this thread run another day or two, you'll get some pretty good ideas. Don't forget, you could also stick the floats to the wood using a wire brad or open staple.

Its nice to know that I am not the only one up this early thinking about these things

But you have to order sometinhg for the vacuming... you could just cut whatever shapes you need into a piece of plastic from home depot and use it over and over. I don't know how those vacum thingys work. I think just a plain and simple stencil would work.

But you have to order sometinhg for the vacuming... you could just cut whatever shapes you need into a piece of plastic from home depot and use it over and over. I don't know how those vacum thingys work. I think just a plain and simple stencil would work.

Glad you asked that check the threads I added there is a video and you can make one for around 40 buck

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-good%2c-cheap%2c-upgradeable-sheet-plastic-vacu/

http://vacuumformerplans.blogspot.com/2007/08/make-your-own-vacuum-former-for-about.html

http://www.build-stuff.com/001book_vacuum_forming.htm

http://members.aol.com/GCGassaway/vacuform.htm

:yay: try the videos might have to type in seach bar?