Cuttem Jack

Shad rap covered in foil

This is my first attempt at foiling. I did this to a shad rap that sees no muskies so I figured what the heck. Here's what I got so far.

DSCF1096.jpg

DSCF1097.jpg

I'm planning on epoxying the lure tonight, then will hit it with some paint. I used drywall tape under the foil and thought it worked out pretty good. As far as the paint, if I use a white primer, then paint the pattern I want over the layer of epoxy, will I still have the foil finish or will it disappear with all the layers of paint and epoxy? I've searched here, but haven't really found my answer. Can anyone help me out. Thanks!

Sure wish my first attempt (or 2nd, or 3rd) had looked that smooth. Real nice job. If I may offer a bit of a "tip"? Next time you apply your drywall tape, angle it so that you are looking at diamonds when you view the bait from the side. That is just my .02 and I know each has his or her own way of doing things. Nice looking job, would like to see it finished.

David

After you epoxy the foil, you need to be careful not to get paint on the parts you want to shine, especially on the shoulders. On the shoulders, you want a "fade" from the bright foil to the dark back color. If you wipe any errant paint off that area, it will leave a line that looks unnatural. The belly, if it's either silver or white, is a little more forgiving since there isn't such a contrasty color change as there is on the shoulders. When you're painting foil, hold the bait at an angle away from you so you won't bounce paint where you don't want it. And remember it's easy to wash the paint off and start over if you screw up.