hazmail

Compound Bending Lexan

How to bend it and below how to make a press - It does not have to be that complicated, I done my first lips with 2 spoons and a paper clamp.

1. Get a small can, I used a SMALL discarded, chopped tomato can, something you can heat cooking oil on the stove and is narrow and tall. Put about 2" of cooking oil in it, I used olive oil (I have a cholesterol problem), but any cooking oil should do. Place the oil on a very low heat gas or electric burner and SLOWLY heat for a few minutes to get it around 170 C to 180 C (350-360 F). Tip- Hang a piece of Polycarbonate in the oil and periodically move it in the oil- when @ correct temp the Poly will start to bend easily, now lower the heat a bit so oil does not overheat, test every so often to make sure the temp is O.K. Don

Edited by Spike-A-Pike
Upgrade Header Image

:yay::yeah:

Thanks loads Pete for posting this, as it was extremely helpful.

Up until now I had been doing it by using a solder torch to heat it for the bend while pressing the lip on the end of a table. Worked anyhow, just not to accurate. If you could, would you send me all the pics you have on your method & how to construct your wee bending machine.

-Cheers! The Muskyman;)(Y)

muskyman - for straight bends there is something much more simple- pinch your wife/daughters 'hair straightener'. Set it at 160"C (or whatever F equivalent) and it will work like butter. There is one of my posts in here somewhere on it. Don't tell them I told you. pete

PolyBender-1.jpg

Pete

To remedy the water/hot oil hazard:

When you load the new blank lip in the fixture, dip it in a cup of unheated oil first. It immedialately sheds the water in the oil.

I know this isnt a new tutorial, but I just found it today, so it is new to me. Great piece of work! You really do think out of the box.

Sonny

Thanks Sonny, I will have to try that one next time I'm bending.

Pete

A curling iron would be o.k for curves--maybe !! A correct EVEN temperature is critical with 'polycarbonate'---

Try heating cooking oil (rice oil is best) in the 'crockpot' and dipping the poly into it---AGAIN, constant temperature is critical (about 175 -180C).

Pete