texasboy

crankbait lips help

You will be lucky if it works first time. This process usually involves a bit of testing. I am fortunate enough to have a lure testing facility (swimming pool) on the apartment grounds. If you are not that fortunate, you might consider taking a few tools with you, so that you can trim the lip at the waters edge should it not work. Even take a selection of lips and bodies. I bought a battery operated dremel just for that purpose. I start off with the lip too big and trim it back until it works.

Other than this general obtuse advice, without a picture, we cannot really help you. Having said all that, I really hope it works first time for you.

If you didn't do it this time, it's more accurate to cut the lip slot when you first cut out the bait profile and it's still "square". Cutting a straight slot on finished bait that has no flat sides is not easy. When I replace the lip on an existing bait, I cut the slot large so there's some wiggle room to adjust the lip straight even if the slot isn't. Gluing the lip in is straightforward. Dry fit it to make sure it's straight, then mix a little 5 min epoxy and use a piece of wire to work it into the slot, making sure all the interior slot surface gets wetted out. I like the slot to be about half full of glue. Then stick in the lip, adjust it straight and wipe off the epoxy that squeezed out the sides. You don't need to apply epoxy to both the slot and the lip. If you do, epoxy will squeeze out the front of the slot onto the lip, and it's hard to wipe off without messing up the lip. It doesn't take much epoxy for a durable lip installation. The epoxy clearcoat you'll brush on later will fill in any gaps and reinforce the job. Check the straightness of the lip from several angles, sighting down from the top of the bait and down the bottom from the tail, using the hook hangers as an index. In 5 mins, it will be permanent.