TMI

Thermochromic Paints to change colors in water?

Hi All! I was reading a post on an automotive painting website that talked about painting an entire motorcycle (with airbrush) in thermochromic paints (paints that change color depending on the temperature) and it got me thinking...I wonder if anyone's ever used these paints to paint lures? Seems like it might be sort of neat to have a lure change from red to yellow when it touches the water....and then back to red when it comes out of the water. I've used themochromic powder in plastisol for soft plastic baits in the past, and had mixed results...so before I go spend $50 on this paint, I was wondering if anyone's ever tried it for wooden lures?

If so, what temperature setting did you get for the color change?

Thanks,

- E

I was actually thinking it might be good to have it change color as it decends through the water column. So colors that aren't visible at deeper depths (like red which goes away at 10 feet) would change to a color that is visible at lower depths (like yellow) as it decends into the colder water. Not sure if it would make a difference, but I was also thinking these lures might have tendency to create spot contrasts, which increase their visibility to fish.

Science aside...I have to admit...part of the interest is just because I think it would be fun to try out. :)

The chameleon colors sound cool too...I'll have to check those out!

Thx.

Like a mood ring? Changes colors but more that two. I think it might stay a color longer than you think. Once it changes would you tie a new one on after every cast? Another note the temp change might only be on the high end like the 90 deg. mark. But I would like to see it.

In theory...

Red does not "disappear" under water, it is just no longer viewable as "red".

That is, at 30 feet (when red is no longer distinguishable), a red lure, red line, red hook ect is not "invisible" to the human eye, it will appear as black or brown, or another dark shade.

Having a paint that shifts from red to yellow will be viewable in the upper parts of the water column but I believe once you hit the mark where red begins to disappear it will shift from a very dark color to a yellow. From what I understand what you are trying to do, this is not the desired effect.

But I do admit...it does sound fun to play with!!! I have been looking at Chameleon paints. SpaxStix (I think that's the name) has Laquer paints for a very reasonable price, but I spray in my basement and don't have a ventalation system set up. While I wear a mask, I hate it and would hate a respirator. I have seen other paints for 23 dollars for 4 ounces. It's still tempting enough that I will most likely order some soon.

It talks about changing when heated but I don't see any info on the temps required to make a change .......... the water I usually fish probably varies less than 20 degrees ......... if it is very temp sensitive then I would be interested because we troll for hours so time to change is not a factor .....

have you guys try this, take a metal foil (the one use for baits) and just color it with a withebord marker, (try red) and you will see a reflecting red, i bet that it will be visible in watter.

The hard part is to keep the color on the foil, i use a spray can laquer set on very fine layers, it will take about 4-6 layers of layers, but you guys have devcon over there, you lucky guys:(