csob3

Clear Coating Rattle Traps??? Alligator Clips??

I need to know what alligator clips are the strongest for clipping onto the small eyelit of a rattle trap. I need a link to strong alligator clips. Also, what is the strongest cleat coat for traps because the epoxy I use will not hold onto the sharp edges of the bait. ALL HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED! I have been pulling my hair out with these traps because I can't seem to get them cleat coated without pulling off the epoxy around the eyelit. Any tricks???

I use Envirotex Lite on repaints of traps, and have no issues. I use a piece of stainless steel wire (tempered) to "drill" out the eyes. That's a tip I picked up here. It removes the epoxy without damaging the lure, or the recoat on the lure, if you're careful.

I have no clue about alligator clips. Sorry.

I use Dick Nite poly. Don't think there's an alligator clip that will hold a 3/4 oz Trap securely if it's wet with clearcoat. I put wire hangers on the line tie and back hook hanger and alternate the lure up/down for a few minutes until the DN's solvent flashes off. Same routine with epoxy,

I've been using x-acto type knives from Dick Blick Art Supply for lure holders, And switched to Dick Nite Topcoat for my clear coating. I spray it on in 2 to 4 thin coats, wait 24 hours, then spray a couple more thicker coats to finish. This process has worked very well for me, and has virtually eleminated the need for a lure turner. ( wait a minute or 2 between DN coats)

Jay