skeeterdan

coffee scented plastics

Upper Hand Scents Coffee Shad. Just bought some bout 3 weeks ago. Lovin in so far.

I do have a question tho. I cant tell if when i am using the Coffee Shad if it is actually changing the color of my bait or if i am just cooking it too long. I started out with a medium smoke with some different flakes and the first 6 poured great, but then they started getting darker from there until they ended up with a greenish tint. Anyone?

Oh, for the Coffee Scent go to www.gobassin.com:wink:

Nem:flame:

If the color is changing with each reheat, you must be getting it too hot. How do you monitor temperature?

I dont monitor my temp. I just heat it up until it looks good and then turn it down a notch. Over time my hot plate has fallen off a bit so i keep little marks with a pen on it but its by no means a 'system'. Meat thermometer work?

Nem:drool:

I dont monitor my temp. I just heat it up until it looks good and then turn it down a notch. Over time my hot plate has fallen off a bit so i keep little marks with a pen on it but its by no means a 'system'. Meat thermometer work?

Nem:drool:

Candy thermometer or infrared temp gun works best. Saint.

You can get a infrared thermometer on eBay. The nice thing about infrared is it is non-contacting so you don't have to clean it and it give instant readings.

Here is a link to an eBay auction with the one I have.

http://cgi.#########/Raytek-MT4-Laser-Temp-New-Free-Shipping-NR_W0QQitemZ260212622055QQihZ016QQcategoryZ42291QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i seen a show on the outdoor channel about it. it does change the color but didn`t see any change on some bubble gum baits i poured last night. i used lc coffee scent. they said worm farmers raise there worms in coffee grounds and thats what the fish taste when they eat a worm. i used some coffee concetrate last night and you can smell it in the baits. a frind of mine made some with some coffee grounds and soaked baits in them and caught some nice small mouth a couple of weeks ago.:yay:

I dont know why they like the coffee scent, but I dont think it has anything to do with worms being raised in the grounds of coffee. Thats just my opinion. Fishing the Flaming Gorge in WY, we used WD40 as a scent for lake trout, and they loved it. Wonder what would happen with instant coffee mixed in, one thing for sure, there wont be any foo foo coffee in my lures lol

I think WD40 is made with some sort of fish oil. Although I'm not quite sure its safe to use.

*edit as much as you can trust wikipedia:

There is a popular urban legend that the main ingredient in WD-40 is fish oil.[3] Although it is unknown whether the formula contains fish oil, material safety data sheets for the product show that the main ingredient is Stoddard solvent, not fish oil.[4]

*edit #2:

...according to USA Today. The WD-40 Company receives hundreds of letters from consumers confirming this use, but prefers not to promote WD-40 as a fishing lure since the petroleum-based product could potentially pollute rivers and streams, damaging the ecosystem.

Sounds like the coffee scent being purchased is in some sort of granular form since it was mentioned to grind it fine? Why not use old coffee grounds? I was thinking of trying some myself.

I'd actually like to see some sort of scientific proof that fish like coffee flavor and/or salt. I have a theory that salt helps me to catch fish because it creates small voids in the surface of the plastic that get caught up on the teeth of a bass and give me better feel and more time to set the hook. I'm wondering if coffee might do the same thing.

I've caught bass on so many odd ball things (gum, sticks, leaves, flowers, bare hooks, etc.) that I actually think they're pretty stupid and that scents don't really do much. At most I'd think they might hold onto the bait longer if the flavor is instinctively good.

As far as WD40 goes, I'd personally be reluctant to use it because of the polution factor. I have no idea what Stoddard solvent might do to my fishing holes.

- Ray

Just to let you know cause the secrets out anyway it works! Was a a local tackle shop that sells live bait, saw the test first hand.Just dumped a truck of transported trout into tank {usually they won't even eat a minnow at that time }til they stablize, two pinches of coffee from a foil pouch for their coffee maker in the tank and in 5 mins it was a feeding frenzy! Would have NEVER ever thought that would work but it did. Use it on my floating flys and hair jigs get ya arm broke!

two pinches of coffee from a foil pouch for their coffee maker in the tank and in 5 mins it was a feeding frenzy! Would have NEVER ever thought that would work but it did. Use it on my floating flys and hair jigs get ya arm broke!

maybe they get jacked up on the caffine 8O. I'm going to try some in place of black glitter.

I dont know why they like the coffee scent, but I dont think it has anything to do with worms being raised in the grounds of coffee. Thats just my opinion. Fishing the Flaming Gorge in WY, we used WD40 as a scent for lake trout, and they loved it. Wonder what would happen with instant coffee mixed in, one thing for sure, there wont be any foo foo coffee in my lures lol

Wd40 has anise oil in it. It would be better to buy a can of it, than putting wd40 in the water