jflures

Is simple better?

Is a simple paint job better than a very detailed paint job?

Just a question I thought I'd throw out there. Are very detailed paint schemes ment to catch fish or fisherman? What do the fish prefer? Simple or very detailed?

I know in my days on the water sometimes simple is better. I would love the hear all of your takes on this question.

He's right. Fancy paint jobs catch the fisherman. We had a muskie rip a trolling bait that I had put white primer and the clearcote on, that's all. Action gets the fish. There are some wilder colors for stained waters but keep in natural for the colors. If it is fiah you're after anyways...:lol:

for the most part detailed paint jobs are for the fishermen, whereas action, profile, and general color scheme are fish oriented. there have been days where the detailed ones do seem to out produce bland though. those finicky clear water smallmouths can be tough sometimes. some days i'll throw every lure i have at em', yet the only takers come on the elaborate baits.

If I might interject a question along this line, not trying to offend, but I thought this applied to the topic...

If the general consensus is that simple paint scheme is better, than how important is the shape of the bait as long as it wobbles with some decent action? We spend all this time carefully shaping our baits, but does that really matter as well? That post a while back about the truck shaped bait comes to mind. :twocents:

There was a thread a few days ago about action vs. color. IMHO, for reaction baits, the action is critical, and the paint scheme secondary.

For suspended fish in clear water, the paint scheme becomes much more important, but the action is still paramount.

I've had fish hit a white lure, no detail. Spinnerbaits are long on action and short on detail, and fish whack them pretty good.

Overall color scheme is important to reinforce the impression that the lure is a prey item, but actual detailed painting schemes are only critical for clear water, finicky bass, in slower presentations.

Again, that's my opinion. Unfortunately, the tablet with that inscribed on it was the one Moses dropped on the way down. :o)

Fishing lures are something over which every fisherman marvels. I know of no fisherman who doesn't appreciate detail in a bait.

Paint produces detail and aesthetics, both of which increase the overall fishing experience.

Using a lure is a way of trying to fool Mother Nature. Building a lure has a lot to do with trying to emulate her ways.

While fish may hit simpler baits, as others have said, there are situations where detail can make a difference.

What is trying to be accomplished by many builders, including me, has little to do with the fish. If this were as simple as mastering simple patterns, I would have moved on to something else long ago.:)

Hi jflures

Grrrrreat question. My most succesfull lure is a 7" creek chub pikey that has been snapped at so many times that its paint job has all but dissapeared but it still catches fish as good as day one so the answer to the question is I dont think it matters really they are both nice but they must catch fish to be really, really nice :yay:.

philB

PS action is everything (as the actress said to the bishop)

This thread was started to get a consensus of all the bait makers. I wonder if I started this thread on a chat site that is geared toward fisherman (l know we all are fisherman, but we are also baitmakers) what the outcome would be. Does the avg. angler prefer color or shape? Does he think about the action before he buys, or does the paint scheme catch his eye and he is hooked? Just some questions for us to talk about.

Fancy paint schemes/details are for anglers in my opinion but then I take the approach that a fish isn't (not always I am afraid) the smartest thing on the lake that day. Detailed paint schemes give anglers the ultimate why a fish didn't bite my lure excuse. Anglers have to defend paint scheme or except the fact that it was their inferior skills. Now usually someone will chuck in "it gives them confidence" and well if you need that crutch then take it. Confidence never caught a fish and never will. Developement of ones skills and understanding of ones target species catches fish. Paint baits and add as much detail to make yourself and others happy but I don't think it makes much difference to the fish unless it is the first full moon, after the first mayfly hatch, during power generation on a reservoir then of course purple ghost shad will slay them (as long as coffee scent is sprayed on the bait first).

I actually believe that the closer we can get our lures to look like real food to a fish the better but that starts with profile and motion before color. I'm always amazed though at some of the custom requests I get from my customers who are very adamant about having specific colors or details. As a guy pretty well known for putting a lot of detail into my paint jobs I know the power it has to sell my products and if it gives the customer confidence to throw my bait over another one then that's great.

I agree with you all on the detal vs the action thing, and i've caught bass on just about every color imaginable. I've had days where I was catching on one color like crazy and my partner tyed on every color he had (same bait(different colors), same line, even same reels) trying to get him some and nothing. I used to think people were crazy for wanting painted baits but after that and many other times like that I think there may be something to this color and detail thing.............

We're limited in ability to imitate prey color and pattern, which can be highly variable according to the specific body of water, subspecies, time of year, what they've been feeding on, how deep they're living, sunlight penetration, etc, etc (not to mention painting skill!). If a crankbait roughly resembles a prey species like shad and looks alive, chances are a bass will hit it simply because it looks different and is behaving differently than other shad. That's what bass key on first. So how close does the color pattern have to be? Just IMO, not so exact that I have to spend 8 hrs painting each one. Practicality enters into the equation, as does the experience of thousands of fishermen using simple color schemes to catch bass. I've caught too many bass on solid white pearl baits to discount the appeal of simple patterns.

Detail definely sells lures I could't agree more. I just think if details were the real difference then all the chinese knock off cranks would be the hottest baits out there. Photo baits would dominate, etc..

Of course what also sells baits is QUALITY!!! That's where many knock offs fall to the way side and the custom bait makers rise to the top.

I had the chance to ask Mr. Al Linder this same question years ago when the photo finish cranks came out. Mr. Linder said fishing is a mind game and if that special paint job puts your mind where it should be then you use it! He also said he would use a sold orange crankbait against my photo crawdad and he will catch just as many fish.

I never forgot this little bit of advice. Its all in the mind!!

Love this site.

I tend to think that we try too much to make lures look like real fish ,I hear a lot of descriptions and people talking about natural action and colors,I have better luck and actually enjoy making lures that are not natural looking or acting,I think the unatural effect triggers more strikes,irratic movement,blotchy,choppy paint jobs,lures that run a little off center,these are all things that I have had the best luck with,and I think large hungry fish look for,the minnow that swims sideways,the injured bluegill,yes there all natural but not what peop[le are trying to mimmick,just my outlook on the whole deal,I like the nice lures that people are making myself but if I were making the lures for just the fish They would be some plain colors with a lot of irratic action.

In addition to the new interest in lure making, I have been painting landscapes in oil for 15 years. Although my skills in lure making are not as honed as painting, I still take just as much pride in a fishing lure that took three hours to paint as I do a painting that took three WEEKS to paint. A paint job on my lures has little to do with some fish in a lake, but much more with the pleasure, relaxation, and pride that comes with the hobby. Not to mention being able to get on a forum like this and share your work, ideas, and questions with others with the same passion. (God, that was gay) I have painted exactly ONE lure that I looked at afterwards and thought to myself "Man...that kinda' looks like a real fish," yet all of them have been as much fun to paint as that one. I get a warm-fuzzy when I slap on a couple coats of Devcon and see all those colors pop out, and yet another when I get them rigged up with hooks and they become functional pieces of tackle for myself or someone else. It’s also great to be able to post a picture on this forum of my super-inferior work and know that the only criticism from the "Masters of the Craft" will be only the most honest and helpful criticism you can find.

I find that the simple color patterns catch lots of fish, but you need to jazz those up a little if you want to catch the fishermen. Something as simple as shooting scales on bait or adding some glitter to clearcoat will sell a lure but I don't think that makes more appealing to the fish. But what do I know, I just sit here looking at Rookie's, Dean's, Blades', Blackjack's, Tiggers', and Dampeoples' baits and drool on my keyboard.

...A paint job on my lures has little to do with some fish in a lake, but much more with the pleasure, relaxation, and pride that comes with the hobby. Not to mention being able to get on a forum like this and share your work, ideas, and questions with others with the same passion.....I get a warm-fuzzy when I slap on a couple coats of Devcon and see all those colors pop out, and yet another when I get them rigged up with hooks and they become functional pieces of tackle for myself or someone else....criticism from the "Masters of the Craft" will be only the most honest and helpful criticism you can find.

Right on Kevin...you get my vote for "Lure Painting" inspirational speech of 2008!

I find that the simple color patterns catch lots of fish, but you need to jazz those up a little if you want to catch the fishermen. Something as simple as shooting scales on bait or adding some glitter to clearcoat will sell a lure but I don't think that makes more appealing to the fish. But what do I know, I just sit here looking at Rookie's, Dean's, Blades', Blackjack's, Tiggers', and Dampeoples' baits and drool on my keyboard.

Benton,

I think glitter adds flash, and that's a great attractor, and can be a strike triggering feature.