rstumpf

Rod Guides

You will be good with just about any quality guide, say SIC or Alconite. Fuji Alconites are the best value hands down. There is some debate about the effects of braid on the REC recoil guides, but I can't speak to it as I haven't had any experience with them other than selling a few sets. Hopefully, Matt Davis will jump in and expand.

matt

Any decent quality ceramic guide is going to be just fine for braided line.

While many claim braids are hard on guides, they aren't. Braids are made from spun polyethelene plastic. Milk jug plastic. Its naturally "waxy". The problems people have is actually caused from the grit that clings to the line. And braid holds more grit than other lines.

Some hardness values of various guide materials...

Stainless Steel (SS): 400

Chrome: 800-1000

Carbaloy: 1000

Aluminum Oxide: 1200-1400

Alconite : 1300-1500

NanoLite : 1800

Zirconia: 1000-1400

Zirconia PVD: 1600

SiC: 2200-2400

On a custom rod I typically stick with Alconite and above.

The first set of Recoil guides I used grooved within 6 months. Casual weekend angler.

Here are some photos of a guide. Wisconsin Bass angler. Two seasons worth of fishing...

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t288/Otterods/Reference/RecoilGrooving2.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t288/Otterods/Reference/RecoilGrooving1.jpg

I believe he was using fluorocarbon line.

I know fly anglers that have experienced grooving on Recoil and other wire guides. So, it isn't braided line that's hard on guides. If a soft fat fly line can groove a guide...I don't want to use that guide.

if im building a rod would their be a time where alconite guides would not be good , or is it a good hardness to handle most any line?

For most all freshwater applications, Alconites are just fine. Probably the best bang for the buck in the world of guides today.

I don't use many of them. Most of my rods are pretty high dollar rods and a $20 set of guides isn't really fitting on a $400+ rod. SiC's or titanium framed SiC's are what I use the most of. Gold Cermet occasionally.

SiC's in the same frames as the Alconites are 15% lighter than the Alconites. Titanium framed SiC's are 30% lighter than Alconites. A very noticable weight reduction.