LakeMINISACHATackle

Clear Coating 100 lures in two days, need advice.

Hi everyone, I'm a new member and also new to making lures. I have painted 100 lures for a trade show i'm doing this weekend and had a couple questions. When using devcon to you brush it on or submerce the whole lure in the devcon. Also do you put it over the tops of the eyes too. Some hand made lures i've bought look like the clear coat goes over the eyes too which looks like it would help keep the eyes in place as well as teh TECH BOND glue already holding on eye. I don't have any kindof lure tuner yet but was just going to hang them and switch ends every 5 min for first 30 min of drying as i had read in thread. THANKS everyone for all the helpfull info on here.!---Jeremy in

IOWA.:yay: Also if I just painted on jig head epoxy would that dry the fastest and work too.

You can also try spar urethane. Alot of guys say it yellows, I did some research and found a couple of boat refurbishers. They told me that the new spar urethane does not yellow and they warrenty their work for 10 years to stand up to foot traffic. They recommended varathane. It is made by rust-oleum and can be found at home depot. Use the spray can version it goes on smooth and dries in about 15 min. It does take about 3-5 coats for a good fininsh. I have since used it on acouple of baits.I took them out and left them in the sun for a few days and there has been no yellowing. And no need to turn them.

If you go with Devcon, yes put it right over your eyes, they'll stay on forever..I use sticky back eyes & glass eyes both, coat over them, sealed for life..Make sure ya use Devcon 2 Ton 30 minute for coating lures tho..Dont use the 5 minute stuff... And you can apply it in many ways Im sure..Tho brushing or smooth spreading with fingers seems to be the preferred methods..Protect your fingers with surgical gloves, thats how I do it..Brush hairs can sometimes pull out into your work so i use my gloved fingers.. I have a drying wheel but never use it for Devcon..I just rotate my lures between my fingers for a minute,attached to a paintstick, then hang 'em up..It gets tacky quick when mixed properly.. A 100 lures in 2 days aye?.. Good luck, thats quite a task..

John~

Good luck mate, it's going to be a steep learning curve. Sorry but I don't think you have time for this. 100 lures in a box, with a clear still curing-Don't be surprised if they all turn into one - I just spent two hours partially painting one and may be able to clear it tomorrow. Good luck with it and let us know how you go. pete

Ha! Thats funny. I just saw all the replies to this almost a year later. I did get all the lures coated and dryed since i used a paint on epoxy jig finish that dries fast and I had to stay up all night to finish. Learned my lesson though. I gave my step brother one of my lures as a gift and when we were out fishing he had cast it out and when he reeled it in the paint was gone LOL! Must have forgot to clear coat that one. It was hilarious, I told him white was a great color anyway!

This brings to mind many questions, but I'll only post a couple:

Could you not tell the difference between your lure with clear coat and one without? Of the relatively few lures that I have clear coated the difference was like night and day.

Secondly, have you heard from any of your customers that threw a painted lure and retreived a white one?