TNBasser

Melting and pouring old plastic baits?!

I've been an avid reader of this site for months now and have found it to be extremely informative. I'm currently creating my plastic lure "models" from which to make molds. I'll soon be ready to begin pouring for the first time and hope I will be able to contribute my own successes or failures to the benefit of readers as time passes.

I do have a question. I have a significant number of old soft baits from various manufacturers that I will likely not use when I'm on the water. I thought I might melt these and use them for my first experimental pours rather than using virgin plastic. Since most have in them scents, glitter, oils not to mention color, are there caveats to doing this? What would be your suggested "dos and don'ts"?

Thanks in advance for any help on this question.

There are some plastics that do well when re-melted, but most of your larger manufacturers' plastic does not do well at all, simply because once heated, you change the chemistry of the plastic, therefore you cannot achieve the same product as you started out with. You can however, chop this plastic up and mix it with raw plastic to recycle. I do know LC does well in re-melting, but another plastic that I'm using will not give me a good product when re-melted by itself. Don't get me wrong, you can re-melt the plastic and get a bait, but the quality will be poor and it's probably going to smoke and stink a lot.

Be carfull when melting plastic bates if your not sure of the type of plastic in them they may give off toxic fumes, you should try to find out what type of chemicals are in them first, some baits are made from a rubber type compound and are very difficult to remelt. Make sure your in a well ventallated area and a good resperator wouldn't hurt. Safety First.

thats how i started. i melted down bags of old plactics. but like the others said most of it will smoke bad but its a good way to start learning. i had a 100 count of small black bowerbait worms that i melted down and made sluggos out of it. smoked a little but made some nice baits.:yeah:

Many old soft plastic lures do very well when melted down.

I just melted down 30 Fliptail lizards in black and poured the plastic into Beaver k/o molds. The texure was great and no stink as long as the temp stayed below 300.

Powerbaits will stink up the house when melted down and the texture seems harder. Maybe it's the protein they use in the plastic, but never again!

Reheated plastisol chunks don't take near as much time to melt down to a pouring temp and that also should not exceed 300 in order to maintain glitter size and prevent color bleed.

The more you reheat, the more glitter needed to replace the shrinking glitter that was in the first pour.

FrankM

I am remelting my power baits after they tear when I catch a few fish with them. I go through 3 of the 100ct packs of worms each year. I was just throwing them away. Now im saving all of the torn worms and remelting them into 3 and 4 inch single tail grubs. they make a great winter bait. I dont do any melting unless its warm enough to have the garage door open. NEVER inside the house.

I usually dip tubes out of the recycled plastic, I have my whole bass club giving me there torn ones, mix with some NEW plastic and melt away, some product are best just to stay away from though, powerbait, net bait, and a couple others I won't touch cause they stink so bad! Funny thing is that no matter what you put in it (as long as its a mixture of all colors) it always turns out some form of Green pumpkin

smallie thats the way i started. had so many plastic and a buddy had a sluggo mold so we started melting them. and i also landed some nice bass on them. when i went to luqiud plastic there was no going back. but thats how i got started and now i am a mess. lol trying to figure out certin colors will drive you crazy.:eek:

When I first started, I remelted used worms and even new worms. It stunk up the place and there was not much controlling the consitency of the baits. I did get a bit discouraged because of this. With all the $$$$ I've spent on baits, and other crap I've never used, the best thing I could have done was spend $100 and get a 5 gallon container of plastisol and start learning with the help of TU. One can do a lot of experimenting and learning with 5 gallons and a few colors. When I did remelt major brands and got terrible migraines. I haven't had a single headace using plastisol. Watch out if you're pouring in the house. The fumes from the remelts will forever be saturated in the upolstery of your furniture.

The one thing I have learned about remelts is that if it contains scent, whether it be Lurecraft, Calhoun, M-F or anyone elses it will stink so bad it will gag you. If you are selling to the public it does not matter because the baits never get recycled, but if you only make them for yourself and want to try to recycle them then I would suggest not to impregnate them with scent. I just did this recently with some sticks I made and I could not go back in my garage for an hour because the smell was so bad.