Jason O

Inline spinner hook questions.

Jason O

Check out www.lurebuilding.nl/indexeng.html and go to the spinners – a real eye opener.

I attach all my hooks directly to the spinner. Split rings are a hassle, usually the weakest link, and an added useless expense. If you are making your own baits and you jack up a hook – cut everything off and make a new one. Just bring a lot of extra spinners on your fishing trips. How often do you bring extra rings and pliers on you fishing trips? Lot easier to tie on a new lure and fish then to mess around trying to swap out a hook on a spinner.

The techniques demonstrated on luremaking tutorials show how you can make spinners that you can swap out hooks with out split rings.

You will still have to experiment with the hook size.

Thanks for the replies guys. Seems like using a split ring isn't real cut and dry. I'll just try both and see what I like. On a single hook texposed hook on a 3" grub what would be a good kind and size hook? Will be using it for bass so I'd like to use a 3" grub. Thanks for any help.

I really can't believe you'd rather destroy a in-line spinner than take an extra few seconds to replace a hook via a split ring. What about your favorite crank bait... are you willing to replace the hook on that? I forgot, you don't carry a split ring pliers, so any type of hook removal is impossible in your world. Do you just leave a fish on the deck to die because you didn't bring a pliers?

The types of spinners that were highlighted in your featured link were very basic and would not find a home in my tackle box. They looked pretty low end to me, but if that's what you prefer to fish with, who am I to stop you. I would rather fish spend a few extra pennies and produce a quality spinner than a piece of junk that will never see the light of day.

I keep a Plano mini-magnum 3213 with swivels, snaps, split rings, bobber stops, split shot, rubber bands, super glue, tip tops, clippers, and who knows what else in it. Like a good Boy Scout and a good Marine, I'd rather be prepared than be SOL.

Am assuming this is in reference to my post:

really can't believe you'd rather destroy a in-line spinner than take an extra few seconds to replace a hook via a split ring.” I make lures – so “destroying” a lure and making a new one is a minor inconvenience. The original statement was “If you are making your own baits and you jack up a hook – cut everything off and make a new one.”

What about your favorite crank bait... are you willing to replace the hook on that?” I don’t fish crankbaits much and when I do I bring extras.

I forgot, you don't carry a split ring pliers, so any type of hook removal is impossible in your world. Do you just leave a fish on the deck to die because you didn't bring a pliers?” A pretty broad assumption about my world – I do not carry split ring pliers but do use hemostats for freshwater/fly fishing and pliers for saltwater fishing for hook removal. I do not put fish on the deck to die…..

The types of spinners that were highlighted in your featured link were very basic and would not find a home in my tackle box. They looked pretty low end to me, but if that's what you prefer to fish with, who am I to stop you. I would rather fish spend a few extra pennies and produce a quality spinner than a piece of junk that will never see the light of day.” A really generalized statement especially when you don’t know how or what I fish for. The posting was for information purpose only not as a tackle directory for low end baits – I’m sure the posters of those tutorials don’t think that their baits are low end junk and could probably care less if they found a place in your tackle box. I appreciate their techniques and have been using similar techniques making my spinnerbaits.

I keep a Plano mini-magnum 3213 with swivels, snaps, split rings, bobber stops, split shot, rubber bands, super glue, tip tops, clippers, and who knows what else in it. Like a good Boy Scout and a good Marine, I'd rather be prepared than be SOL.”

The real preparation is going through your gear the night before you hit the pond…

Kelly

“with a split ring there is a higher chance when it hits the water it might get tangled with your line” ditto

Jason O

Probably any kind of bait holder or offset worm hook will work.

The real preparation is going through your gear the night before you hit the pond…ditto

The types of spinners that were highlighted in your featured link were very basic and would not find a home in my tackle box. They looked pretty low end to me, but if that's what you prefer to fish with, who am I to stop you. I would rather fish spend a few extra pennies and produce a quality spinner than a piece of junk that will never see the light of day.” A really generalized statement especially when you don’t know how or what I fish for. The posting was for information purpose only not as a tackle directory for low end baits – I’m sure the posters of those tutorials don’t think that their baits are low end junk and could probably care less if they found a place in your tackle box. I appreciate their techniques and have been using similar techniques making my spinnerbaits.

The first spinner baits I made looked similar to them. Still have some and at times they are the fish slayers over other high end baits.

There is alot of options on hooks to use more than can be listed, A 1/0 might be a good place to start. Just grab your favorite hook and see how it looks. You are the inventer here.