adrenalineben

Scale Masking

I am just learning how to paint baits with my new airbrush. I tried using scale mask last night for the first time with mixed results. It worked but I was not satisfied with the pattern left by the masking I was using. The pattern was about the right size but the thickness of the lines could be heavier. I was using fine scale mask from Janns and am going to purchase their next size to try, but I could use some other sources. I have tried most of the local fabric stores. Any tips or sources would be make me forever greatful. Thanks

I did my first repaint tonight on a couple of old store bought crankbaits, and I too had mixed results with my masking material.....but mine wasn't with the material size or pattern, but with trying to wrap it and hold it in place.....I found this task to be quite difficult actually so i'm hoping there might be some trick to it?? I might have been using too large a piece of material also....I dunno...it seemed I had more material bunching up under the bait then nessasary and trying to clamp all the extra material was a pain.

The only clamps I had laying around were some wooden clothes pins....the spring loaded kind....they worked ok, but i'm gonna look for something better.....I couldn't seem to get the material to pull up tight to the lure in some areas so I was worried about blowing paint under the material and ruining the pattern.....I ended up applying the paint so lightly that didn't happen...but the scale pattern didn't show up very well either....well, it shows, but not not as much as I intended.:nono:

When I apply my scales to a lure I just hold the netting by hand and go away at it. Also another way that I hold my netting to the lure is that I have pin curl clips, they are small and they do the job perfectly! LOL and the best part of it all is that they are cheap, I found mine at hobby lobby for a couple bucks.

Then for the netting I use the small netting from janns and then I found a small net that I liked the pattern so im also using that to.

Goodluck, Jacob

I use the bridal tulle material.

I made a spray board so I could spray it using my gravity guns without spilling the paint, and so both my hands are free to add paint, or clean the gun quickly in case of problems.

I took some dense foam material that's 1/4" thick (it's the stuff we use to protect foundation waterproofing before we backfill with gravel), hung a double layer on a sheet of plywood I have leaning up near my work bench, and then put two vertical rows of 3" screws into the plywood, one on each side of the 16"X16" foam that I mounted onto the plywood with duct tape (what else?)

I used duct tape to hang a piece of the tulle from the top of the plywood that is big enough to drape over the foam.

To spray my scale patterns, I hang a lure horizontal between the two rows of screws, using paper clips and rubber bands. Then I drop the tulle down over the lure, and use push pins to attach it below the lure. The push pins are about 3/8" long, so that's why I doubled the 1/4" foam. After that, I put in a row of pins above the lure, as needed, to get the tulle to follow the contours of the lure.

I spray the scale color on in thin layers that I heat set well after each coat. Then I carefully and slowly peel the tulle off the lure, starting at one lower corner, and working across it and up, until the tulle is free. I drop the tulle sheet over the back of the plywood (it's hung from the top with a duct tape hinge) to get it out of the way, and again hit the lure with the hairdryer on high, to be sure the paint it really set.

Then I reverse the lure so the other side is exposed, and repeat the process.

It's important to make sure the scale paint is dry before you reverse the lure, so it doesn't stick.

If I want to scale the top, I do it last, following the same proceedures.

In the past, I've used the mesh that holds garlic, draped over the lure and held at the bottom with clothes pins, but the foam spray board is much easier to do.

And it is great for holding lures when I'm spraying details on them, too.

The tulle is stiff when you first start, but after a couple of coats of heat set Createx it gets more flexible and easier to work with. And the repeated coating actully makes the thin tulle a little thicker, so the lines aren't quite as fine.

I think after re-reading your explaination(several times)....lol....i've got a pretty good visual on what your saying and I gotta admit I hadn't really thought about just spraying scales on one side at a time....i'd just assumed everyone draped their material over the bait and clamped it from below....your way actually sounds alot simpler....and your use of push pins to hold the material in place is sure worth a try....thanks.:yay:

I talked to the manager at my local Walmart yesterday and he said they should have more of the Scale Masking mesh in stock after "Fetish" week in Kentucky. Apprently they under estimate the movement some have even compared it to WOODSTOCK! Seems it's so big all the Walmarts across the US had to move their mesh inventory to Lexington.. He did tell me everything would get back to normal in a few weeks.. WOOHOO!8O that's a relief!

The Rookie

Edited by The_Rookie

Pete,

Sorry, I can't post photos right now. My Daughter went on my computer and a root kit, whatever that is, got on through Java. My brother-in-law took it home and cleaned it off, but I have my business stuff on there, so I haven't hooked it back up to the internet yet.

And my photo software is on that computer.

I'm waiting on some new anti-virus software he's going to install.

Basically, think of the setup as a sketch pad on an artist's eisel (sp?). You can hang the tulle from above where you're going to paint, and then drop it down over the lure and pin it tight.

It's really simple, and that's why I did it, trust me.

68KingFisher,

If you do it, maybe you could post a picture of your version.

If I had you spray room, I'd mount a 3'X3' piece of 3/4" plywood on the wall between you two corner filter racks, mount a 2'X2' section of foam, tape the tulle to the plywood above the foam, put the two rows of screws in the plywood at either side of the foam, and, voila!, it's on!

I use duct tape on the tulle so I can change it easily, but it lasts a long time.

And I keep the push pins and rubber bands in a baggie that I pin to the foam when I'm not painting.

68KingFisher,

If you do it, maybe you could post a picture of your version.

If I had you spray room, I'd mount a 3'X3' piece of 3/4" plywood on the wall between you two corner filter racks, mount a 2'X2' section of foam, tape the tulle to the plywood above the foam, put the two rows of screws in the plywood at either side of the foam, and, voila!, it's on!

I use duct tape on the tulle so I can change it easily, but it lasts a long time.

And I keep the push pins and rubber bands in a baggie that I pin to the foam when I'm not painting.

I snagged a piece of inch thick pink foam insulation board from my neighbors remodel job today....got a small chunk outta the dumpster along with AZEK....i'll put something together in the next day or two and when I know it works i'll post pics of what I ended up with.

A framework for holding the netting is the way to go if you're after production. Something that will work good for the procedure is an old wooden tennis racket. Used to find them at the thrift stores for a couple of bucks. Anyhoo. remove the strings and enlarge some of the holes along the edge to recieve the press in plugs used in the automotive industry. This will allow you to adjust the tension or replace the nettin quickly. You can also remove the top radius of the racket to make the netting conform to the bait. Which in my opinion, is a personal preference as to do or not. With some practice you can learn to roll the bait under the netting while spraying. which has one benefit, you can spray the scaling on both sides without a position change