jamie @ customfish

Lure wraps?

where did you find the pics to print? Hard to find them facing in both directions. Those look great.
Hi

Take a look at http://www.lurebuilding.nl/indexeng.html. Find on that site in the menu 'Techniques' and click it. Then go to 'Finishing'. When onto that page click on the bottom link to 'Realistic jerkbaits by Emiel Van Dijk'. There is an excellent piece by Emiel on the production of photorealistic finishes. He kindly allowed me to use his original photos of the roach pattern so I could recreate his excellent results. As yet I have not managed to do so but am getting close.

Sorry I can't paste a direct link for you but the site will not allow me to do so as the address does not come up in the address bar :(.

philB

If you follow the links you will see the same roach on Emil's baits although I have modified it slightly to give a bigger eye and fin. Trouble with pictures from the web is they tend to be reduced in size so when expanded and printed they are poor quality. Smokeys right, just flip the image and you have the other side voila.

Hey Spike. one of them is yours mate just take your pick when I come over in April ;)

philB

philB,

Not only the picture looks very good and realistic (not very much your work here), but the way you applied it to the lure seems perfect to me. I can see no wrinkles, and the overall aspect is awsome. I think you are already an expert from whom we could all learn.

philB,

Not only the picture looks very good and realistic (not very much your work here), but the way you applied it to the lure seems perfect to me. I can see no wrinkles, and the overall aspect is awsome. I think you are already an expert from whom we could all learn.

Thanks for you overly kind comments but I have to say I am far, far, far from being anything near expert. There are a lot more guys on this forum far more deserving than me especialy the airbrush fellas of whom I am in awe of.

I have to admit though they are damn cute :lol:.

philB

I do not know what the big manufacturers use, however, I have been experimenting with waterslide decal paper you can use in your inkjet printer. I purchased mine online. I think I paind about $16 for 10 8"x10" sheets, including shipping. I found a bluegill pattern I liked and used Adobe Photoshop to print both sides. You must seal the paper with a acrylic clear coat first, then dip in water and the image slides right off. I placed it on the bait, it wrinkles some and needs to be worked in order to curve it. I still got some creases. After it dried I used Devcon 2-Ton to clear coat the lure, sanded down the high spots, and clear coated 2 more times. I will try to post a pic as soon as I can. I really liked the results, but it was a fair amount of work.

Just an observation here and I cannot say for sure that it is the same with other inks but if the matte opaque decal paper is used with my epson printer I do not have to seal the image however if I use the clear gloss decal paper then I most definitely do.

philB

Thanks for the info guys, Doesn't seem to be a lot on this subject. The info posted here was helpful. I'm gonna try a few different options. One being Decal paper, Two, find some very thin mil paper to print on. I tried the tissue but i either have the wrong tissue or printer for that. The wraps you guys did look amazing. I did one, just using what i had, plain printing paper. Once i sprayed the back with glue, it made the paper easier to work around the curves but was still a pain. It turned out ok. The tail piece, discolored but the front two sections where not to bad. Still needs the final clear coat to shine it up. It being a swimbait, made it a little more difficult. So this is my first attempt and i learned a lot so the next will be much, much better. LOL....Hopefully!20150625_195110.jpg

20150625_195110.jpg

20150625_195110.jpg

20150625_195110.jpg

20150625_195110.jpg

20150625_195110.jpg

20150625_195110.jpg

20150625_195110.jpg

post-46982-0-38617700-1435311110_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the info guys, Doesn't seem to be a lot on this subject. The info posted here was helpful. I'm gonna try a few different options. One being Decal paper, Two, find some very thin mil paper to print on. I tried the tissue but i either have the wrong tissue or printer for that. The wraps you guys did look amazing. I did one, just using what i had, plain printing paper. Once i sprayed the back with glue, it made the paper easier to work around the curves but was still a pain. It turned out ok. The tail piece, discolored but the front two sections where not to bad. Still needs the final clear coat to shine it up. It being a swimbait, made it a little more difficult. So this is my first attempt and i learned a lot so the next will be much, much better. LOL....Hopefully!attachicon.gif20150625_195110.jpg

The only way I could get the tissue paper to properly feed through my printer was to use Scotch tape to affix it to a piece of regular printing paper and then feed it through the printer.

Ben

• Like 2

The only way I could get the tissue paper to properly feed through my printer was to use Scotch tape to affix it to a piece of regular printing paper and then feed it through the printer.

Ben

I glued the edges of the tissue to card stock and it went through the printer just fine. I think that was suggested by someone here. Its been a long time.

I glued the edges of the tissue to card stock and it went through the printer just fine. I think that was suggested by someone here. Its been a long time.

That was in Husky's original description John, but I didn't have a glue stick or spray any spray adhesive at the time so I improvised. Can't let not having the proper equipment shut down progress. :teef:

Ben

• Like 1