Monty

Looking for ice fishing jig molds

I sent some jigs to this guy in NY George Kellar is his name, he can make you some molds out of silicone for about $30 per mold. It is a good price, but they will not last forever like aluminum. I think what I am going to do is take the molds that he makes me to a place that will pour an aluminum one, and go from there.

I did some work with an aluminum forge in middle school, I think that I will see if the kiddies can make some stuff for me during class. :)

here is the link to his web site.

www.jigsrigsandstuff.com

Chris

Watch out who you send your stuff to in NY. I cant remember the guys name but I sent masters off to NY to have molds made several years ago and got ripped off.He kept putting me off and coming up with excuses until I finally gave up.I lost my 500 bucks and my mold masters. I also had a bad experience with a NY company that sold lead and tin.I think they have a poor business philosophy out there. They just want your money.period.

Guys,

Most ice jigs are soldered to the hook.

I Have a master molder maker here that makes them.

Has tooling for most of the blades shapes out there.

Large ones that are used for painting the jigs also, like 100 at a time.

Or same ones to just do them for your self.

Are you guys interest if so let me know and I will give you more info.

They are Silcone.

Rich

They are not for casting, but a great set up for soldering /painting.

Richoc,

where would one get a mold for the glow bodies and ants? also

"I Have a master molder maker here that makes them.

They are Silcone. "

PLEASE TELL ME MORE :D:D:D

thank you, monty

Monty,

that is a loaded ?.....

Those types are poured or centrifical casted.

You would need to have the mold made for those.

But there are places to buy them are ready made.

Getting the mold made for spin casting is not that hard.

Thats what my guy makes.

But you would have to have the equipment to run it.

Getting just one to hand pour (do-it type)is more costly at times than you would belive.

Machine shop costs.

Have a shop here for that also.

So far they have never come in under the estimate.

What way are you thinking, and what type of #'s are you hoping to make?

That will help me get you in the right direction.

what type of equipment is needed to spin cast? and how spendy is it?

i would like to make a few thousand of them maybe more. also looking for a easy way to make alot of tear drop jigs as well. i want to make a few thousand of them as well. i use tear drops all year with very good sucess.

thanks , monty

I have not made many to sell but i may start. the one pictured is a size #8 ice worm. I also make a size #10 ice worm. then i make a size #10 double trouble that is like worm but with only 2 segments. i have made vertical perch eye jigs but they slip on the hook until you paint them. if i tried a different type of hook it may solve that problem.

the mold itself is fairly simple to look at but it does do a good job. it gets kind of hot so you need to wear gloves. i am trying to come up with a hinge and some handles to make it a little more safe to use.

Mar18010.jpg

I make custom molds from silicone but only for doing production on my spin casting machines. I usually can produce the product less expensively than making them yourself . If you pay for a mold it is your property but stays here and only is used for your lures. I have used the soldering method which can make some really nice nickel backed ice jigs but it is tricky and getting production numbers is not easy. Getting into complete spin casting properly can cost a small fortune and its certainly not like picking up a Do-It and dumpin lead in . I'll be more than happy to help any way I can. --- Chris

Man old thead. but hay have fun. Get a do-it blank mold and a dremel and start buchering it. A good way to start is put a hook in and hit the mold with a hammer. Transfers on both sides of the mold. Small jigs is a good way to start learning. PS where your gloves that dremel can take off!

Man old thead. but hay have fun. Get a do-it blank mold and a dremel and start buchering it. A good way to start is put a hook in and hit the mold with a hammer. Transfers on both sides of the mold. Small jigs is a good way to start learning. PS where your gloves that dremel can take off!

thanks for info about the hammer have done a little to existing molds with dremal with success, had thought about silicone or clay or something molding onto hook then drying then had a guy that would make a mold from silicon for 30.00. would like to find a supplier for plastics like overuns or seconds what ever you would call what manufactures discard from pouring lures

Richoc,

where would one get a mold for the glow bodies and ants? also

"I Have a master molder maker here that makes them.

They are Silcone. "

PLEASE TELL ME MORE :D:D:D

thank you, monty

Can you tell me more about the tooling of theice jigs,Thanks

I have not made many to sell but i may start. the one pictured is a size #8 ice worm. I also make a size #10 ice worm. then i make a size #10 double trouble that is like worm but with only 2 segments. i have made vertical perch eye jigs but they slip on the hook until you paint them. if i tried a different type of hook it may solve that problem.

the mold itself is fairly simple to look at but it does do a good job. it gets kind of hot so you need to wear gloves. i am trying to come up with a hinge and some handles to make it a little more safe to use.

Mar18010.jpg

I would like to see your jig molds or talk to you about makeing me some please emale me back or give me a call at fstanandjackie@wi.rr.com 262 843 4794 thankyou stan frahm

On 3/1/2011 at 11:24 PM, atijigs said:

The way most of the pan fish ice blades are made is with solder. The smaller blades and ant's really are easy to make. You just need support for the hook and blade. This is what I thought the original poster was asking about.How are they made 004.jpg

How are they made 004.jpg

post-26046-0-84367200-1299039839_thumb.jpg

I know this is older than the hills, but can you tell where that jig came from?  looking to make exactly that type of ant.

• Like 1