Braided Line

How many do you take and what lures?

I`m talking about rods/lures. like I`m not happy unless I`ve got 8-10

rods lined up and ready to go. More rods in the rod locker, just in case.

Where I go, lakes or the St John`s river as it`s close to my house, really

dictates what hangs on the end of my line. Shallow /deep water.

Relative terms to say the least. Plus lots of grass/pads/ downed trees

and the ever present gator.

One of the reason I take as many rods as I do is because I don`t want to have to "tie" something on as the area/shore line changes. I just p/u a rod already to go and keep on chucking.

Some of the rods are for flipping/pitching. Some have floating worms with different colors. Some with shallow diving crank baits. The always present top -water bait. A Pop-R for sure. A couple of spinning rods. One always has a gay-blade hanging on it. The other with some sort plastic on it. At least 3 rods have spinner baits and of course braided line. Those I fish deep back in the pads/grass as this is the time of year the big girls are there and you need to be able to control and stay conected plus withstand the pad stems. Braided line will do just that.

One other set up that is really important for here, as else-where I`m sure is the Carolina rig. Don`t leave home with out one.

I know that different regions and types of water dictate different lure/rod combo`s so how do you guys gear up?

I fish for Largemouth so...

Baitcasting:

2 TD Sols for cranking

1 TD Z for Jerkbait

4 TD Zillions - Spider Jig (Hula Grub)

- Ball/Football Jig

- Spinnerbait

- Top Water

Spinning (or open face, as I grew up calling them)

1 Pflueger Supreme 8030MG - Shakey Head

(rigged with braid and a 6' fluoro leader)

1 Shimano Spirex 2000 - Carolina Rig / Drop Shot

All on TD Tough & Light rods, with the exception of the Shimano which is on a Falcon Original rod.

As you can tell, I'm partial to Daiwa gear...It just suited me when I tested it out. The tough & light rods have a REALLY low reel seat and when you put today's low profile reels on them they fit perfect in my chubby hands.

What I take out depends on the time of year...like right now (middle eastern NC) I'll leave the topwater rod and the carolina rig rod at home.

I'll make sure to have a variety of lures for each technique to offer different presentations.

I take one, maybe 2 rods to the river. I don't fish the river often, most of my fishing is at the beach. Even then, I only put 2 rods in the jeep for inlet/bay fishing, 3 rods for surf (dead stick one, hold another). It only takes a minute to re-rig to a different setup, and more of a pain to carry a bunch of rods IMO. I only carry the extra rod in case something happens to the one I'm using.

if im runnin the river ill have an average of 14 rods with me.6 fer the cats and the rest rigged up with everything from small cranks to 6 inch or bigger shad style baits...always have a target species in mind but aint arguin if another species wants to hit better lol....in lakes ill have round 6 out and rigged different ways for whatever im fishing for.

Since braidedline brought up the subject of gators liking Buzz baits, I had to go "fish" this shot up. (see attached) after I snapped this pix and moved the rod tip to my left he dang near jumped in the boat with me. Have hung a few through the years ... most of the time, even with a treble hook lure, they will open their mouth and it will fly out. Some times just say good by to it. I have had them to hit Buzz Baits (this drives them bonkers), top water "plugs", spinner baits and worms fish down deep and slow. And for his trailer "Mudfish Like White Spinner Baits" I will have to back him up on that one. I use extra light wire on my spinner baits and when I hang a Mudd I mite as well say good bye to it.

Go Fishin

JSC

:)

GatorBB.jpg

GatorBB.jpg

GatorBB.jpg

GatorBB.jpg

GatorBB.jpg

GatorBB.jpg

GatorBB.jpg

GatorBB.jpg

2764_thumb.attach

JSC:

Nothing better than having a large toothy,ugly, mean looking gator

zero in on a buzz bait. They look like a "water " cruise missile.

Those puppies are so intent on eating that thing they come right up to

the boat.

I`ve had guys out from up north and I must say their eyes sure do get

big. :lol:

Thanks for the comment.

Braid .. this spinner bait got by a little light after being attacked by a 4# Mud.

I reached down with old trusty long nose (my club was to hard to get to) got the hook to shake it out ... it flounced and I lost my grip on the hook but pulled the trailer and the skirt back over the head before getting the hook .... ever seen a skirt band go over a spinner bait head ? first time I had ... now how to get i back over with out tearing every thing up .... soap and water ???

Mudds all ways cause trouble .... when this happened, about 10 minutes before I planned to come in, I just reeled it all in and headed for the house ....

Had a good day not real fast action landed 10 keeper size and several small all except one on the spinner bait that was attacked.

Tried Plastics off and on with no results ... shoulda stayed with the spinner bait during that time.

Have A Good One

JSC

:)

spinnerMud.jpg

spinnerMud.jpg

spinnerMud.jpg

spinnerMud.jpg

spinnerMud.jpg

spinnerMud.jpg

spinnerMud.jpg

spinnerMud.jpg

3933_thumb.attach

Edited by JSC
Forgot to attach Pix

As I am most generally fishing a bass tournament or practicing for one I usually have 12 to 15 rods & reel combos in the boat. I take way too many lures (Better to have & not need, than to need & not have). Had to buy a bigger tackle box in 04. Now have a 21' Skeeter with 225 black horses on the back. I start out with an assortment of baits tied on, depending on where and when. Eliminate as many baits and locations as possible as quickly as possible. If I'm having a good day I will end up with 2 or 3 rods left on the deck with the same baits tied on. As I live & fish in Ohio those days are few & far between. Good luck to you.

Tony

Whoaaaa slow down you guys. 15 rods in one boat for one fella ! I don't even own that many let alone take them fishing. There ain't 15 different types of rod are there ??? I love reading threads like this one as they highlight the differences between us Euros and you guys on the other side of the pond. As for me it is usually one or maybe two rods at the most and a shoulder bag of lures and that is it. Usually on a river weather permitting.

Thanks again for this informative thread.

philB

Exactly like Phil said in Europe !

I only take one rod , landing net and a lurebag along walking the lake's bank , in my small boat I take two rods along , one lighter , one heavier .

Some guys around here , that do have bigger boats , might take just a few more , especially for float fishing , but usually only two or three rods are permitted on local waters(for floatfishing , being in water at same time) .

Only the guys trolling salmon and seatrout off shore the Baltic coast sometimes gear up their boats with many rods , so they look like giant hedgehogs swimming the water :lol:!

greetz:yay: , diemai

That's a shame Milia, I have about nine 6-8 footers and three 10-12' beach/rock rods. I went up to Queensland for two weeks fishing last year, and took four short rods, sat on the bow of the boat waiting for some mullet to get trapped, and snapped 3 tips - just proves, you have to 'Be Prepared'.

As for lures, I have boxes of salt, and boxes (I mean boxes) of fresh, 'So many lures, so little time'.

It sometimes gets a bit confusing. pete

I usually take 8 to 10 rods on the deck at a time. I always have 2 "fairy" wands included. 1 tied up with a alabama rig and another with either a drop shot or a double jerkbait rig. The rest are split 50/50 with speed baits and soft plastics. Everything is usually tailored to the time of year. I.E. spring is big bright baits for sight fishing, summer big jigs, fall thats more speedbaits (rattletrap is my personal favorite) and winter small finesse stuff. That and a full tank of gas because im ADHD and cannot sit on one hole if i aint getting bit. :yeah:

I fish local ponds and some of the larger lakes in Northern Illinois.

When fishing from shore at the local ponds, rivers or lakes, i like to have 2 rods, 3 rods max, rigged up. Most times I take 2 spinning rods, and I will have the same lures rigged every trip, or a slight variation, rigged up 90% of the time. 1 spinning rod always has a plastic worm rigged on it, the other will usually have a crankbait. If i bring one of my baitcasters, I might tie on either a larger or heavier version of what I'm throwing on the spinning rigs or something completely different. When I go I usually tie on the lures at the car and only carry a few hooks, weights, and 1-2 packages of plastics.

When fishing larger lakes from a boat, I take 3-5 fully rigged rods. Usually 2 baitcasting rods will have 2 different crankbaits to give different profile actions and/or running depths, 1 spinning rod will have a worm setup of some kind, and the other rods vary from having a different worm set up, swimbaits, jigs, spinnerbaits, topwaters, etc. But I bring my tackle bag with all my lures just in case I need to change to a different technique.

Just my :twocents: on the topic.

Edited by bmicklos