Braided Line

How many do you take and what lures?

Oh, dear, I have a pack rat problem. I have several dozen rods, so depending on whether I am fishing south or north what selection, nevertheless that selection is 10 or 11 rods, often with a Canon downrigger. Usually 6 casting rods, HMG Fenwicks in trigger sticks, 4 or 5 Abu Garcia xlt Plus 521, Abu Garcia 6501, and a new Abu Gacia C4, all left hand. I cast right like a spin rod and do not waste motion, ergonomics, and crank with my left. 521's aside from being left dissengages the level wind when casting, it is free to slide, it has a removable bayonet side plate, extra spools and a working magnetic brake, never a back lash and it handles very light lures.

The spin section again is mostly HMG and I use Spirex 4000 rear drag reels. I have for the 521's and spirex lots of spare spools. I fish mostly braid and match line and rod to what I am doing. I also have specialty trout/salmon rods, shorties for streams and 10 1/2 foot ultra light for the white fish runs in MT.

Recently, last two seasons I end all my lines in a biminin loop and attatch top shots for knotless flourocarbon leaders on all rigs.

I wish I could seperate my tackle into types, can't so I take all 5 tackle bags, a 35# bag of soft plastics, specialty pike box too. I have over 100 rapalas and a heck of a collection now of hard triple and quad jointed swim baits. (bbzi, sebile, tru-tungsten, etc, I think is a passing fad, Raps work better for me than all of these including the sofr Javallon)

My electronics are very complete too. I have no room for a partner in my 15 foot boat!

Funny this came up this week end as I am ordering three more HMG rods from an Ebay vendor...

I think I got an illness. I even made a list so I can organize the hardware I carry; looks like this, I fill it in when I rig up so I can remember what I am doing...LOL:

oops it did not post correctly... I will add it later with a link sorry!

Edited by Piscivorous Pike

Oh, dear, I have a pack rat problem. I have several dozen rods, so depending on whether I am fishing south or north what selection, nevertheless that selection is 10 or 11 rods, often with a Canon downrigger. Usually 6 casting rods, HMG Fenwicks in trigger sticks, 4 or 5 Abu Garcia xlt Plus 521, Abu Garcia 6501, and a new Abu Gacia C4, all left hand. I cast right like a spin rod and do not waste motion, ergonomics, and crank with my left. 521's aside from being left dissengages the level wind when casting, it is free to slide, it has a removable bayonet side plate, extra spools and a working magnetic brake, never a back lash and it handles very light lures.

The spin section again is mostly HMG and I use Spirex 4000 rear drag reels. I have for the 521's and spirex lots of spare spools. I fish mostly braid and match line and rod to what I am doing. I also have specialty trout/salmon rods, shorties for streams and 10 1/2 foot ultra light for the white fish runs in MT.

Recently, last two seasons I end all my lines in a biminin loop and attatch top shots for knotless flourocarbon leaders on all rigs.

I wish I could seperate my tackle into types, can't so I take all 5 tackle bags, a 35# bag of soft plastics, specialty pike box too. I have over 100 rapalas and a heck of a collection now of hard triple and quad jointed swim baits. (bbzi, sebile, tru-tungsten, etc, I think is a passing fad, Raps work better for me than all of these including the sofr Javallon)

My electronics are very complete too. I have no room for a partner in my 15 foot boat!

Funny this came up this week end as I am ordering three more HMG rods from an Ebay vendor...

I think I got an illness. I even made a list so I can organize the hardware I carry; looks like this, I fill it in when I rig up so I can remember what I am doing...LOL:

I usually have a dozen or more rods in my big boat when I head out. Two reasons.

1. I hate to have an equipment failure and not have a spare.

I usually have a dozen or more rods in my big boat when I head out. Two reasons.

I`m talking about rods/lures. like I`m not happy unless I`ve got 8-10

rods lined up and ready to go. More rods in the rod locker, just in case.

Where I go, lakes or the St John`s river as it`s close to my house, really

dictates what hangs on the end of my line. Shallow /deep water.

Relative terms to say the least. Plus lots of grass/pads/ downed trees

and the ever present gator.

One of the reason I take as many rods as I do is because I don`t want to have to "tie" something on as the area/shore line changes. I just p/u a rod already to go and keep on chucking.

Some of the rods are for flipping/pitching. Some have floating worms with different colors. Some with shallow diving crank baits. The always present top -water bait. A Pop-R for sure. A couple of spinning rods. One always has a gay-blade hanging on it. The other with some sort plastic on it. At least 3 rods have spinner baits and of course braided line. Those I fish deep back in the pads/grass as this is the time of year the big girls are there and you need to be able to control and stay conected plus withstand the pad stems. Braided line will do just that.

One other set up that is really important for here, as else-where I`m sure is the Carolina rig. Don`t leave home with out one.

I know that different regions and types of water dictate different lure/rod combo`s so how do you guys gear up?

A bunch. Two reasons.

1. Redundancy. I hate having an equipment failure and not having a spare. Nothing like whacking them on a certai presentation that just feels right on one rig and having your partner step on it or accidentally catching it under a locker handle when you go to pick it up.

2. Specialization. I have a lot of rods that only get used for one type of bait or one or two types pf presentation.

Examples:

I have a med/light extra/fast spinning rod that gets used for weightless finnesse baits, and drop shot. Its the perfect rod for those things with the sensitivity to feel the lightest bites and the speed to set the hook. I have two of them. Its very expensive and they are hard to find so if I were to break one I'ld have to wait to get it replaced.

I have a med/hvy mod/fast baitcaster that I pretty much only throw buzzbaits on. I suppose it would be ok for med to med/lrg swimbaits but pretty much all it gets used for is buzzbaits. I have a spare.

Flipping sticks. I have a bunch of flipping sticks, but in my big boat I carry a minimum of three not counting spares. One I like for light baits, one I like for heavier baits, and the third only gets used for frogs. All are one piece 7'11" and each has a slightly different power and speed. I need to order spares while there are still some around for that light bait rod as its discontinued, and I've never felt another like it.

I've got a couple moderate speed medium power bait casters that only get used for crankbaits. I never tie anything else on those two rods.

I still have not found the perfect spinnerbait rod for me. but I have one that for now only ever has a 1/2 white spinnerbait tied on.

Small poppers go on a Quantum Tour spinning rod. Larger poppers go on a Lamiglas 3 wt. The Quantum is discontinued, but I bought five of them on closeout for a discount when they were discontinued. I only have three of them left.

I've got some Fenwick Eagle GT rods that get used for smaller baits. Things like 1/4 and 1/8 oz spinnerbaits, and tiny little casting spoons.

I'm tired after fishing all day (tournament) and I'm sure there are a couple I am not thinking of.

I don't like to carry as many rods in my little boat because it gets crowded and rods get broken, but I still usually have 5-6 when I head out. I have some telescoping flipping sticks I use out of that boat. I like my three speciatly ones better, but at nearly 8 feet they take up a lot of room in a small baot when they are not in use.

When you find a rod that is perfect for a particular application go out and buy five more of them. If you fish a lot it will get broken eventually and then they won't make it anymore.

And, yes. I like to be able to hit a spot with two or three different presentations without having to retie.

Edited by Bob La Londe

A bunch. ...When you find a rod that is perfect for a particular application go out and buy five more of them. If you fish a lot it will get broken eventually and then they won't make it anymore.

And, yes. I like to be able to hit a spot with two or three different presentations without having to retie.

Amen! You are so correct. I usually break two rods a year (last one snagged an overhanging tree and when it snapped it bounced so hard it hit and broke the second HMG which was right next to it) and yes, I usually throw back after a missed strike with a different more finesse presentation than the main one I am using.

This post has been floating around for almost 3 years. A lot of guys have contributed with "what they do." Some interesting stuff. :)

This time of year,where I`m located and where I fish. 95% of my fishing is done in pad-fields,big and small, Rod is a 6 1/2 stout puppy. A round reel (slow speed) with braided line, 50 lb test. I lock the drag down as this is not about playing the fish but rather getting them out.

Use only 1/2 oz spinner baits (big blades). Lots of different colors. Get to hung up on a color and you can possibly miss out on what they really want.

By the time you put the boat back on the trailer, after a day of fling and winding it back, rest assured, you will be one tired......................... you can fill in that space. :)

By the way, I`m catch and release only !

Different strokes for different folks. I take 5 or 6 rods, which all fit in my bass boat rod box. I usually use 2 or 3 of them. I don't like junk laying around on deck while fishing. I've cut down on the hardbaits and plastics I carry. I figure if I can't pre-plan enough to fit everything in one large worm bag and 5 mid-size 3600 boxes that fit a cloth tackle bag, I'm too clueless to fish. I own hundreds of crankbaits but my boat boxes hold maybe 100. That's plenty to fish anywhere, under any condition. There's nothing worse than sitting on deck, lines dry, pawing through bait boxes and wondering what the hell the bass might bite today. Confidence catches fish and that hurts confidence. One thing about baits - if they don't stay wet, you aren't catching any fish.

Ummm, I generally only like to take one rod at a time ...

:drool:

If I'm tournament fishing, usually 8 to 10.

6'6" shallow cranks

7'6" deep cranks

6'9" spinnerbait

6'9" chatter bait

7' Shakey Head

7' jig

7' spinning, whacky worm

7'6" c-rig

7'3" alabama/heavy jig

Usually only 3 or so if just out for fun.

Edited by Lil'skeeter

I usually have four to six rods on my small two man Twin Troller.  I fished tourneys for a few years as a co-angler and I learned to make do with several rods pulling double duty.

All my bait casters are Abu Garcia low profile and round reels.

• 2  6'6" medium heavy action rods. These are my jig, worm, Carolina rig, medium to deep cranks and 1/2 oz lipless cranks rods
  • 1 6'6" medium action rod. This is my shallow crank bait and light lipless (1/4 oz) cranking rod.
  • 1 6'0" medium action rod. This is my top water popper, light rapala x- rap, etc rod.
  • 1 6"0" medium spinning rod. This is my finesse rod and for all those lures too light to throw with a bait caster. I rarely pick it up though.

Tackle, well that's a different story. I have a medium "Alice" pack U.S. Army ruck sack that is stuffed with just about anything I might need on the water. Funny enough what ends up within reach most often is my jig box and shallow crank box and a pack of my craw trailers. I don't even want to talk about what it weighs. About the only thing you won't find any or many of in my tackle "bag" are spinner baits and buzz baits. I pretty much never throw either for a few reasons.

1. I suck with them. In 23 years of fishing for bass specifically, I can count the number of bass I have caught on either a spinner or a buzz bait on one hand. (this is mostly my fault for failing to learn the ins and outs of these baits and actually using them.)
  2. Come spring here in East-Central Illinois everybody and their brother has a spinner bait tied on in chartreuse or white or some combination of those colors and they are chucking and winding it all day. And well into summer and fall.
  3. I learned many years ago, during a club tourney in Georgia, the value of doing something different behind the guy on the front deck. This lesson is also easily applied to the 3-5 boats going down the same bank/area in front of me chucking and winding the aforementioned spinner or buzz baits. (I take great pleasure in following behind them with my jig, or a worm and sometimes a shallow crank and catching all those fish they didn't.) :D

If I had more room I'd probably carry a few more rods as I like having spares.