mickalo

New to the forum

Hello all,

My name is Mike from N.W., IA area, and plan on doing some of my own jigs/spinnerbaits creations for personal use, or atleast give it a shot. Got a bunch of old jigs and spinnerbaits laying around that I plan to revamp or dress'em up a bit :) so I'll be coming here for some help .... alot! Won't get into pouring my own jigs, just pickup variety of unpainted jigs and build my own.

LedHed recommended this site to me and glad he did, looks great, and ton of good info from just browsing a bit through the forums.

One of the first areas I need to settle on is painting jigs, looks like powder paint seems to be the overall best so gonna try that.

Can any one recommend some good books out there covering these areas, painting and jig/spinnerbait tackle creating, tools ...etc. ?

Gotta be a great feeling to create your own lure and have it actually caught fish! ;)

Mike

Mike,

Well if LedHed recommended this site, than your on your way to some beautiful jigs. As far as books, I don't know of any. As far as tutorials, you can start with TJ's Tackle. Benjamin is one of the members here, goes by the name of dayooper. I'm sure he'll chime in. Any way he has a powder painting tutorial video on his website. Definitely something to see. Also Benjamin sells Pro-Tec powder paint, best price so far. He's an excellent source for information. I myself also have a tutorial, which is a little more advanced. If you want, PM me your e-mail, and I can e-mail it to you. Also, there are a lot of guys here that will be more than willing to help you out. Do some research in the forums, and then if you can't find it post it in the wire bait section. Someone will have an answer for you. A lot of very knowledgeable guys here. Oh yeah I forgot, I'm sure since LedHed steered you to this site, and is going to get you hooked, I'm sure he will answer many of your questions also. Welcome aboard.

thanks for the welcome, look forward visiting here often, that's for sure.

Right now I plan to start out simple & basic for now, till I get more comfortable with it. I can see how this could become a very addictive hobby, but gotta watch the budget ;)

I plan to check out TJ's Tackle tutorials, if you have the url handy, can you post it.

I've head that the Pro-tech powders are excellent, but expensive, need to check it out. I found a few lure craft sites that sell powders paint pretty reasonable.

Mike

mickalo

Welcome aboard glad to see you made it over. cadman gave you some solid advice. With his tutorial and TJ's videos it will put you miles ahead of the game. Not sure on TJ's web site but you can see his videos at tacklemaking.com also. TJ can also help you out with fluid beds if you don’t want to build your own.

You might find someone willing to swap for powder paint and there are a lot of jig makers also that might sell or swap.

Highly recommend hawnjigs for lead free jigs – might want to check out his web site or shoot him an email.

Mike, welcome to TU. Like you, I started out many years ago (in my early 20's) pouring and tying my own jigs. My first mold was a Do-It Flipping jig mold. I then advanced to making my own spinnerbaits and buzzbaits. In the fall of 2006 at age 54, I started trying to carve and paint my own crankbaits. I am absorbed and fascinated by them. As of yet I consider myself a rookie crankmaker but I am getting better thanks to TU and its members.

You will find that you have many options when you start tying and painting your own lures. You will become more and more creative with your colors, patterns and materials you will use. Some places I use to purchase supplies.

www.hagensfish.com

www.Barlowstackle.com

www.jannsnetcraft.com

www.livingrubber.com

Recently thru TU I have learned about this site, I have not used this source yet but it is highly reccommended by other TU members. I checked it out and their prices are great. My next order for silicone pads/strips will come from here.

www.fishingskirts.com

There is no feeling quite like catching that first fish on your own creation! I must warn you, be ready to have fun and become a tackle building junkie, there is no cure for it.

Let me know if I can help.

John

Hi Ledhed,

thanks. I found TJ's website with the tutorials, great site. And thanks cadman for the URL. Those Fluid beds look pretty handy to have. I guess I got a lot of researching to do for a while before jumping into this. Being self-employed, it's sometime hard to work in some free time to pursue a new hobby like this, but plan to make some time ... for sure. ;)

I found hawnjigs website very nice looking jigs, thanks.

Mike

Welcome...I actually collect old books on Tackle Making, so if you are still looking for suggestions, here are a few to look for (and to avoid):

GOOD

- "Making Tackle for Anglers" by Herbert Jenkins. It was published in 1953 and some of the stuff is outdated, but this is still my overall favorite book on the subject

- "Hook, Line, and Sinker" by Gary Soucie. Everything you ever wanted to know about the business end of a fishing rig. Seriously...buy this book

- "Make Your Own Fishing Lures" by Vlad Evanoff. It was published in 1975 in London. Pretty good overview of mold making and other techniques

- "Fishing Tackle Making, Maintenance, & Improvement" by Barrie Rickards and Ken Whitehead. This is an older British book...very hard to find in the US...but it's really good. Deals a lot with Pike fishing...some partical bait fishing stuff too (which isn't big in the US).

- "Luremaking" by A.D. Livingston. Good general book about the subject.

- "Knowing Bass" by Keith A. Jones. EXCELLENT book about the science behind fishing lures...specific to bass though (thus the name!)

- "The Complete Book of Tackle Making" by C. Boyd Pfeiffer. This is a good book for beginners. But my preference is the older (1950s to 1970s) books. The old books blow this out of the water. But it is a good primer to get the basic skills down.

BAD

- "Making Fishing Tackle" by Thomas Pursell. Don't ever, ever, ever buy this book unless you have an eight year old at home. This book is actually a kid's craft book...seriously...it talks about making lures from yarn and pipe cleaners.

-

You can also check out YouTube.com There are some instructional videos on there.

I've got about 20 more titles...but that should be enough to get you started! :lol:

Enjoy!

Sure thing...happy to help. If you decide to buy them, avoid the "rare book sellers"...they'll charge more for them because some are considered collectibles. Your best bet is to do a search on Amazon or Ebay for the titles. There they just consider them "old books" and you can usually find at least one seller who has it for under $10.

Enjoy!

(But beware...it's addictive!)

Four more books of interest:

How to Make Your Own Lures and Flies – Mel Marshall, 1976

The Complete Book of Lurecraft – Russ Mahoney, 1987

Streamers & Bucktails – Joseph D. Bates, 1950 – great for ideas to create your own patterns.

Angler’s guide to Jigs and Jigging – Ken Oberrecht, 1982 – this is an excellent read for jig crafting.

TMI

Great book list – didn’t realize there is so much more literature.

Morning,

I found these books on Amazon, used books section, for a good price:

"The Complete Book of Tackle Making"

"Luremaking: The Art and Science of Spinnerbaits,

Buzzbaits, Jigs, and Other Leadheads "

By the way, the videos on powder painting on your site are TERRIFIC! :) great help for a novice. It really cleared up alot of questions I had, guess pictures do save a 1000 words :wink:

Mike

Sure thing...happy to help. If you decide to buy them, avoid the "rare book sellers"...they'll charge more for them because some are considered collectibles. Your best bet is to do a search on Amazon or Ebay for the titles. There they just consider them "old books" and you can usually find at least one seller who has it for under $10.

Enjoy!

(But beware...it's addictive!)

LedHed where did you find the book:

"Angler’s guide to Jigs and Jigging "

Mike

P.S. Cancel this, I found it on Amazon ... thanks for the suggestions.

Four more books of interest:

How to Make Your Own Lures and Flies – Mel Marshall, 1976

The Complete Book of Lurecraft – Russ Mahoney, 1987

Streamers & Bucktails – Joseph D. Bates, 1950 – great for ideas to create your own patterns.

Angler’s guide to Jigs and Jigging – Ken Oberrecht, 1982 – this is an excellent read for jig crafting.

TMI

Great book list – didn’t realize there is so much more literature.